The 6-Minute Rule

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I recently spent a week fishing in Northern Wisconsin and while waiting out a cloud burst, I picked up a copy of Go Boating magazine and thumbed through it. The following article about a "6-Minute Rule" caught my eye. Here is the article which was titled "Are We There Yet?"

The following article was copied from
Bow Shots ? Go Boating Magazine (2006 ? eighth issue)

Are We There Yet?
If you?re like the millions of Americans who think that it?s no accident ?math? is a four-letter word, you?ll be glad to know there is an easy time-to-destination calculation you can use without forcing your first mate to break out a calculator.

The 6-minute Rule, as it?s called, allows you to quickly determine how long it will take you to get to a set location as long as you know your speed and the distance to go. All you need to know is that one tenth (0.1) of an hour is 6 minutes, which means that your boat will do one tenth of its MPH in distance every 6 minutes.

Say you?re cruising at an efficient 29 MPH, right where you get the best gas mileage. That means you?re going 2.9 miles every 6 minutes ? just call it 3 miles every 6 minutes. Now say you know it?s only about 35 miles to the marina where you plan to have lunch. You know 3 miles will go into 35 abut 12 times, and 12 times 6 is 72 minutes. So, you should reach the marina in about 1:10 to 1:15.

Here is my response to this nonsense.

I certainly don?t disagree that many Americans are numerically challenged. But with this example you are forced to do three calculations rather than one that can easily be done in ones head (even with a nasty hangover). If one is running 29 MPH (just call it 30) and the marina is about 35 miles away. Duh ? seems to me you will be there in a tick over an hour. If you are running at 10 mph that same trip takes 3.5 hours and at 40 MPH just a tick under an hour. And if you need to calculate closer than that you have some other issues you need to contend with. If you had 100 miles to go while running at 20 mph the trip takes 5 hours. At 35 MPH that hundred mile trip takes a tick under 3 hours. Yes, 35 (mph) x 3 (hours = 105 (miles). That last example is as easy as saying to ones self, self -- if I?m going 35 MPH, in 2 hours I?d go 70 miles. Add another hour (now 3 hours) I?ve gone 105 miles.

Now, unlike the person or persons that went sleepless a night or two coming up with the ?six-minute scheme?, I give the boating public a little more credit, except for Go Boating magazine editors who apparently fall into the ?math-challenged? category otherwise they would not bother publishing the article. People reading Go Boating magazine probably have at least an eighth grade education and can easily perform a simple long division problem in their head. Those that can?t certainly can?t comprehend the six-minute calculation either. Moreover, they probably don?t own a boat and if they do, it?s of a size that doesn?t require calculation of time-to-destination because he/she can see the destination.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: The 6-Minute Rule

I got a good chuckle out of reading your post silvertip, ;) Sometimes they go out of their way so they have something to write about I think. I too try to do these "complex" mathematical equations in my head.

mattttt25

Commander

editors can't take credit for that. i learned the 6 minute rule in the navy, one of the first things you're taught when on the bridge. the example provided wasn't a good one.... the rule actually helps when you get good at it, and can be reversed to determine time or distance traveled.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

very interesting and yet funny post Silvertip. If I am going someplace and someone asks how long will it be I tell them. We get there when we get there.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not only did you copy their work without their permission . . . you had to go as far as bashing their mental acuity ??

GOOD JOB !!

lol

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I realize the Go Boating editors did not create the "6-minute rule" nor do I contend it is not a valid measure. I do contend the context in which it was presented was wrong. Claiming much of the boating public can't handle simple calculations is absurd.

Matt -- this rule is only accurate if one travels at a given speed. If one travels at various speeds, attempting to compute distance traveled requires that a record be kept of how long one traveled at each speed. That holds true for whatever method one uses.

The general boating public is 1) not concerned about distance to go, or 2) can handle the calculation in their head if they are.

redfury

Commander

I usually figure if I'm in a slow boat, it's going to take a long time to get anywhere. If I'm in a fast boat, I'm more worried about running out of gas than how soon I'll get there ;)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

where can I get one of those speedometers that measures "MILES PER SIX MINUTES" instead of MPH?

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

See, I find it MUCH easier to remember that 1 MPH is 1.47 feet per second...

Then multiply 1.47 by miles to go, divide by miles per hour on speedo, multiply by 3600 and divide by 5280 (in my head)... VOILA, time to destination in hours. :D

tommays

Admiral

:confused: My GPS tells me how long ,even the 13 year old 139 dollar one did everything you could ever want

Of course i have allways been able to get there with a compass and chart and and eldridge tide book :D

The long island sound will screw you up when it is in flood at 5 MPH and your sailing at 6

Tommays

rndn

Commander

I can't believe someone thought that would be an easy way to calculate the time to destination??

rndn

Commander

Here's what has happened to America's ability to do math.

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2, and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents
from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her
discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me back two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to
her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s.

1. Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Teaching Math In 1960

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Teaching Math In 1970

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Teaching Math In 1980

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20.

Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20.

What do you think of this way of making a living?

Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes?
(There are no wrong answers. )

6. Teaching Math In 2007

Un hachero vende una carretada de madera por $100. El costo de la producion es es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

rndn, you just made my night with your explanation of the evolution of math. Nice job!

country_bumpkin

Petty Officer 1st Class

RNDN,

I'm an actuary, a math geek. I was drinking a bottle of water when I hit 2007. I now have to clean off my computer screen!

That is great!

I need to send this to some people.

Thanks again!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I always liked this one:

An electric train is going north at 50 MPH. The wind is blowing south at 50 MPH. Questioni: Which way is the smoke going to blow?

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

I always liked this one:

An electric train is going north at 50 MPH. The wind is blowing south at 50 MPH. Questioni: Which way is the smoke going to blow?

It depends on the voltage of the train. :D