Stern Drive Vs. Outboard

richpor_1

Cadet
Hello.

I am looking at buying a used bayliner capri 1750 and there are two that I am looking at, one has a 90hp Johnson VRO outboard and the other a Mercruiser I/O stern drive.

My question is what are the advantages/disadvantages of the stern drive vs the outboard?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

rndn

Commander
Re: Stern Drive Vs. Outboard

Personal preference. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Outboards are lighter than I/O's and are easier to winterize. You don't need to use 2 cycle oil with an I/O.

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would go for the outboard. If it were a force outboard (like most bayliners have) I would consider an I/O. Also, the Johnson is a VRO, so you don't have to mix gas and oil, there will be a special tank for the oil, and you just fill it with regular gas, and it mixes on its own.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Just make certain the tech who checks your Johnson is up to speed on the VRO. The VRO can fail, and that failure can fry the motor. Happened to me.

So ... my choice would be the I/O rig.
Kelly Cook

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Since going outboard I’ve not changed a gimbal bearing, a manifold, an I/O bellows, turned on a blower or winterized a lower unit. I also don’t have a doghouse in the cabin to take up space either.

In the end it’s personal preference and what’s important to you. The performance advantages and ease of maintenance made my decision easy. Even if I have to put a gallon or two of oil in the oil tank every couple of weeks.:D

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Having owned several of both i prefer outboards.
If you are new to boating the I/O will be a lot to learn as far as the routine maintenance,plus cost will be much more also.
The outboard is the way to go in my opinion..

MikDee

Banned

After owning both over the years, and going back to an outboard, I wonder why I ever had any I/O's? for the other posters above valid reason's. Personally they're lighter, leave more room in the boat, are easier to work on, and maintain, and get on plane easier, & faster, I don't know what motor is in the I/O, but unless it's a V6, or V8, and you're willing to accept all the disadvantages for the sake of pure speed, and sound, the Johnson outboard is the better choice.

richpor_1

Cadet

I would go for the outboard. If it were a force outboard (like most bayliners have) I would consider an I/O. Also, the Johnson is a VRO, so you don't have to mix gas and oil, there will be a special tank for the oil, and you just fill it with regular gas, and it mixes on its own.

I was also looking at a 21' version of the same bayliner with a 125 Force motor on it... Is the Force a troublesome unit?

Thanks to all for the advice... I think it's the outboard for me!:cool:

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm spoiled by what I am familiar with and that's Chevy motors. In my case a 250 GM L6 that is easy as pie to get to and work on in my boat. Many of the newer I/O boats have very limited access to the engines unlike mine which can be seen clearly in the picture.

I had a 50 Mercury O/B years ago and knew little about it if it had problems. Getting an O/B serviced can be extremely expensive from what I hear. Do it yourselfers like me prefer engines we already have knowledge of. :)

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

I have an OB and love it. My brother in-law has an I/O and loves it. I do more slalom water skiing, and my brother in-law does more wake boarding. The type of motor depends on what you plan to do. The extra weight of the I/O makes a larger wake for boarding, but I am happy with my small wake from my OB. From a maintenance standpoint, I think I have it better than my brother in-law, but his decision to own a I/O is based on what he does on the water and not the expected maintenance and operational costs. I think both systems are good, but the I/O is more complex and will require more maintenance. Ultimately you need to get what fits your needs because my brother in-law would not be happy on the water with an OB, even if the OB saved him maintenance money and time.

tommays

Admiral

"the I/O is more complex"

Nobody can be making these complex statements and have ever looked at a modern Outboard Motor

That new 350 HP Yamaha is sure a simple unit

Which if you lucky you might be able to DIY a sparkplug change :rolleyes: there are not 500,000 outboard posts cause there running so perfect

Tommays

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

No, there's 500,000 outboard posts because there's millions of old outboards still in service owned by countless numbers of people who can DIY their own repairs with just a few tools and a little advice. ;) :D

Advantages of outboards over inboards:
Favorable power to weight ratios.
No engine taking up space better utilized by livewell, baitwell, more gear, etc.
No contortionistic skills required to perform maintenance.
No big honkin hole in the transom or bellows to wear out.
Lower unit lifts completely out of the water for easing through shallows or stump fields.
Repower - easy by comparison.

Advantages of inboard over outboard:
Better sun deck for bikini babes.
No engine in the way of tow lines.
No max HP.

And the number one difference: with an outboard, everybody can see how big yours is! :D

kmurray802

Seaman

Its nice to have both on board that way when your out-drive breaks(and it will)you can lower down your outboard and putt back to the ramp.:mad:

sankanother1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a lot of info.I own both i/o and outboard ,With that particular boat I would most defiantly go outboard.Even with the 4.3 v6 i/o it is a nightmare to work on,Force outboards has a bad rap but don't be afraid of it if it runs well,Just make sure it is recirculating water and do a compression test before you purchase it.This is very easy to do with an outboard.Good luck even doing a compression test on the Capri i/o.Bayliner set the motor back to the transom to gain more room in the cockpit and it is not a joy to work on,Good luck the Capri is a fun boat.

richpor_1

Cadet

Wow !!!

Thanks for all the replies... Seems that I've ignited an age old debate, but I still think the O/B is the right choice for me. I'm going to look at the 89 capri with the 90HP johnson later this week. the VRO pump has been removed when the unit was rebuilt and the owner has been adding to oil the old fashioned way.

Thanks again to all!

sankanother1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wise choice..It is a little bit more of a Pain to refuel but the piece of mind is worth it.Be sure to check the transom and floor for rot.bring a scratch awl or ice pick with you along with a compression tester.Don't be overwhelmed by the seller.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

"the I/O is more complex"

Nobody can be making these complex statements and have ever looked at a modern Outboard Motor

That new 350 HP Yamaha is sure a simple unit

Which if you lucky you might be able to DIY a sparkplug change :rolleyes: there are not 500,000 outboard posts cause there running so perfect

Tommays

No doubt the 350 hp Yamaha (four stroke) is a complex power plant, but the original post was about a 90 hp Johnson. The 2 stoke Johnson is going to be much less complex than any I/O.

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dunno if I'd go for that Johnson with the VRO removed.

Oil injection is what kept the 2 stroke outboard alive in the modern era.

Without VRO the large displacement 2 stroke outboard reverts to a smoky beast... start one up on a cold morning and you'll fill the marina with blue haze. Certainly good for getting the attention of your neighbors. Trolling or idling around with a big pre-mixed 2 stroke isn't the most pleasant prospect either, unless you like the smell of outboard exhaust.

Personally I don't mind the smell of 2 stroke exhaust, it brings back lots of good memories of time spent on the water. However, it makes a lot of other people nauseous.

Something to consider.

evilratgirl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My experience with 2 strokes has shown me that the biggest problem is getting the mix right. With the VRO the motor made the decision for you. But there are millions of 2 strokes out there (OB, chainsaw, mowers,,,) that if mixed correctly don't smoke like an old stove pipe. If they do, the mix is too rich and the plugs aren't going to last long.

freddyray21

Commander

I agree with the ease of the outboard in maintenance ect, but I own and run an I/O. My 50 hp Evinrude on a 14 ft boat would burn 5 gallons an hour pulling skiers, tubers ect. My 120 hp I/O on a 16.5 ft burns 1.5 gallons an hour.