New boater

chaunceyboyblu

Recruit
Hello, I bought a 1972 fiberform 18 foot boat with a 140 hp inboard motor and mercruiser outdrive. The boat is like new and has only about 80 hours on it since new. Before taking it out for the first time, I changed the engine oil and changed the oil in the outdrive and lubricated all the fittings on the outdrive. We took the boat out and put about 5 hours on it. It did great but Every time the boat is shifted from neutral to drive or reverse there is a ratcheting noise from the outdrive for a second before it engages. Is this normal or is something wrong? Also I dont know what the button right next to the throttle is for. I pushed it once or pulled it, I cant remember, and it seemed to make it not go into foreward.

RObert Rahn
1972 fiberform 140 hp
Kalispell, Mt.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New boater

button, most likely disengages shift linkage, so when you move controller it will rev up. used to warm up engine. when you shift, you should do it firmly and not slow, especially reverse. the shift cables might need a slight adjustment or it could be reving a little too high in neutral for your shifting into gear

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not an outboard. Moving to Mercruiser Forum

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Every time the boat is shifted from neutral to drive or reverse there is a ratcheting noise from the outdrive for a second before it engages. Is this normal or is something wrong?

This is normal.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

button, most likely disengages shift linkage, so when you move controller it will rev up. used to warm up engine. when you shift, you should do it firmly and not slow, especially reverse. the shift cables might need a slight adjustment or it could be reving a little too high in neutral for your shifting into gear
Welcome to iboats.....:)
Good advice here.....
That button is the 'throttle only' button....
It allows you to rev the engine & pump the throttle with the engine out of gear.....
With the engine off push the throttle handle 'til it hits the foreward position detent & again in the reverse position to get the feel of shifting.....
With the engine running you should shift firmly & swiftly from neutral to either position.....
You will hear an audible 'clunk' which is normal.....
Any extended grinding would indicate a bad lower shift cable.....;)

chaunceyboyblu

Recruit

hey thanks a lot for the great advice. I definately was not shifting quickly, in fact as I heard the noise I would sometimes even back off. I am excited to go back out knowing this and what the button is for.
Robert Rahn
Kalispell, Mt.