insurance question

bissinger

Cadet
ok im 19 years old and my friend and i just completely restored an 83 thundercraft open bow that 17.5 ft and we're about ready for the water. so everything is registered with new york state but im not sure what kind of insurance i should get and where to get it as im only 19 and it may be fairly expensive because as a lot of people know us 19 year olds are irresponsible and uninsurable. so, as im new to the boating world im not sure what kind of insurance SHOULD have on the boat and what can happen on the boat and im just looking for some basic info to point me in the right direction.

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: insurance question

I have everything insured through Allstate & they've been awesome. My 28 footer caught on fire & they settled the claim (totalled) in 3 days. This year i had an incident which destroyed my port outdrive. They were great to deal with.

freddyray21

Commander

if you are just looking for basic liability you can have it added to your homeowners insurance very reasonable.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they are not going to cover much on the boat with comprehensive, just get liability, personal injury. shop around for price. should be 100-150 per year.

freddyray21

Commander

they are not going to cover much on the boat with comprehensive, just get liability, personal injury. shop around for price. should be 100-150 per year.

adding my 72 Searay to my homeowners for just liablility was 25 dollars a years.

bissinger

Cadet

so insurance is not a neccesity to get the boat out on the water. its just for peice of mind? ill probably get basic liability just in case. but its not required by New York State?

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's not required in NYS, but I highly reccomend it. Never know what can happen & you'd hate to have to pay for someone's boat/med. bills etc. out of pocket.

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm 20 and I got liability through my auto insurance (State Farm) for $50/year.

tommays

Admiral

i would get insurance that covers fuel spills and boat salvage from a sinking as there buy far the msot common accident

If you sink for what ever reason the cleanup is out of your hands and the fuel spill from it becomes a costly ordeal

Tommays

Acer2428

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Swim away and swear your friends to secrecy ;)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I would be very leery of these low prices on liability insurance. $1000 per person in medical expenses isn?t going to cover the ambulance ride. Heaven help you if someone is disabled for life and the lawyers get involved.

Cptkid570

Ensign

I think that an important coverage is Medical Payments. That will pay if someone gets hurt on your boat without any questions about liability. I like that coverage because people who don't know boating (or drink too much) tend to fall down.

freddyray21

Commander

I would be very leery of these low prices on liability insurance. $1000 per person in medical expenses isn?t going to cover the ambulance ride. Heaven help you if someone is disabled for life and the lawyers get involved.

for the record the 25 dollars as an added rider on my policy gives me the same liability protection as on my house. Which in my case is a million dollars.