Reverse lifts my outdrive above the water line

wan2live

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I put my Sunbird into reverse it is very hard and take alot of force and while doing this my outdrive comes up out of the water.

Forward works just fine. Any suggestions?

Volvo 270 Outdrive

Last edited:

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Reverse lifts my outdrive above the water line

Do you keep it in the water all the time. If so, you may have lost the trim ram bolt the conects the rams to the housing. you would only really notice when going in reverse.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

that 270 outdrive has the reverse lockdown mechanism. some part in that set up is broken or missing. check it out and fix it otherwise you don't have a usable reverse and that is bad! do a search on this section of the forum for lots of help on fixing that reverse mechanism...it is a pita though!

wan2live

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies I have been away from the PC for a few day's.

I will do another search as suggested. The boat is trailered to the lake and back.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Click here for a discription of the tilt lock mechanism.

wan2live

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don. I checked last night and Reverse Lock seems to be stuck in the upward position but I did notice if I tried to move the latches forward they catch on these little nubs I assume are stops whcih really makes no sense to me but I am going to follow your link to get a better understanding of what I got myself into. I checked everything but a water ride when I got the boat and the engine only lifts like that in the water errr.

wan2live

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a dumb question or maybe not. Does the shift mechanism sit down on the rod attached to the the back plate with the holes in it? this is where you can move the pin from one hole to another or is there an additional rod that is missing. Btw I have looked at the diagram but did not see that I also have the crappy clymer book (came with the boat)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That clymer manual is used to put your knees on while working on the tiltlock, you shouldn't be looking at it...........:eek::eek:

Tiltlock.png

wan2live

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you sir and I agree on the book I will try that tonight ;-) it was free with the boat so no loss.