Water Pumping out wrong place?

elark7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1964 650, 65 horse, that I just bought. I spent yesterday and last night reading old posts about impellers and water pumps but found none similar to mine. The impeller was replaced, by previous owner, but no water comes out of the telltale. When I put the muffs on I hear water filling up the motor then watch as it comes out around the prop, (not through it). When I start and run the motor it comes out what I believe is the reverse lock rod on the front edge of the motor just below the transom mount and tilt/trim. The head never got hot, warm to the touch, but only air and steam/smoke came out of the telltale. Should I drop the lower end or just try to blow out any clogs? I am wondering with the water coming out other places and the head not getting hot if it is a matter of pipes and hoses hooked up wrong internally. I have other questions but will post them seperate since they deal with other parts of the motor. thanks for the help, Elark7.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Water Pumping out wrong place?

First if the impeller is go no water will go into the powerhead the imp prevents that intill the engine is turning, start by dropping the lower unit and attaching a low pressure water hose to the engines water tube an see if the telltale works, those older engines got the water from the bottom of exhaust plate and plugged with silt intill they were impossale to clean. If thats the case then liok at the top ot the block near the rear there should be a plug with a 7/16 head on it remove it and ck for water it there is good water there get a 1/8 pipe elbow to 5/16 hose and mowe the telltsle hoes to there, cutting the exsisting hose short and pluging it. If you don't have water at the top plug you have a plugged water passage and the powerhead must come off and the exhaust plates and water jacket cover removed to find the problem. Then ck the imp. and reinstall the unit

elark7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Laddies-Thank you. I got the top cowling off and unscrewed the plug. Started the motor and got thankfully wet from water hitting the flywheel. I am on the way to the store to get some parts to run a new hose. Problem: I can not see a way to get to the other hose that runs to the telltale. The lower cowling is blocking my view and my hands are too big to squeeze down. I have yet to find a manual prior to 1966, so I am flying by the seat of my pants and with the knowledge I gained from the 65 evinrude I repaired. Any other Ideas for bypassing the lower hose? Thanks again, elark7.

elark7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so what gives? I can not find a themostat, and there appears to be no hose running the the square opening on the back of the motor. And I have yet to see a manual for the 64 models, that is reasonable (found a web sight with one for $50 plus $9 shipping. Any ideas?