1976 70 horse no spark

texas1962

Cadet
ya'll pardon me, I'm real new at this .I was reading an other thread,ronnie504u asked about a black and yellow wire.My black and yellow wire is grounded all the time. The motor was running fine and then no spark,you can guess were I was at .:(

77Lark

Seaman
Re: 1976 70 horse no spark

They will tell you to check (test) kill switch and ignition switch. Have you?

texas1962

Cadet

I have ground on the black and yellow wire all the time that is to say it does not mater if the control box in the boat is hocked up or not key on or off.

77Lark

Seaman

I'm not very smart about these thing. Just read a lot on here. Some motors have safety switches on them so they only start in the lowered positon.

I have a wiring diagram for mine and it is very simple to read. You can trace that one wire and see all the places (switches) that it could be sent to ground to kill the ignition.

Did you bypass all the controls up front and still have the ground?

Do you have the big red connector by the motor?

If so you can disconnect that and jump the starter to get it to crank. Doing that bypasses eveything in the boat. By the way the only way to get the motor to stop is to ground that blk/yel wire so try this with all plugs disconnected so it doesn't start on you. And that ground circuit will shock the **** out of you.

77Lark

Seaman

You could post a thread that reads need wiring diagram for whatever boat you have.
And of course....everyone will tell you, get a manual. Not a bad idea for a DIY.

Careful posting twice on the same issue because it causes confusion and upsets the veterans. Plus you will get better advice.

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you tell us when this motor actually ran last? It might not even have anything to do with the control box. It could be one several things such as power pack, coil(s) stator, etc... Do you have a repair manual for this motor to give you the trouble shooting tips and steps? It'll tell you where to start the testing. It could even be as simple as your plugs... Some more information on what you've done so far and maybe a little history up until the point of this post would be helpful too.

texas1962

Cadet

Ok,I'm going to try and answer all the questions.1st one yes it has a big red plug, 7 wires on the motor side.2nd the motor ran friday afternoon about 7miles down river.I have pulled all 3 plug wires so the motor will notstart but I can check coil fire on all the plugs.I have checked the kill wire,black/yellow wire,its grounded all the time,took a test light and found three grounded pins in the plug from boat.Also all three coils coming out of the power pack. I thought that this motor would run with or without a battery?

texas1962

Cadet

I seen I left one out, the repair manual is on order from iboats.com,said friday.

texas1962

Cadet

Maybe I get it, I'm only supost to have ground when the key is off! So if I have ground all the time the switch is bad. I'll check this in the morning before work.

77Lark

Seaman

Yes maybe switch is bad but I wouldn't start there. It's tough to get to. Careful if you take the control box apart. There is a few parts a spring and bearing to click when you shift and other stuff that can fall out. If you take it apart be sure to eyeball other connections while your in there. Maybe throw some grease on the slides and other moving parts.

Unplug the big red plug and then see if your ground on blk/yel on the power pack is gone. If so maybe keyswitch, kill switch or an unlikely short in the wire.

Post what you find.

You know, i'm looking at my wiring diagram and it shows the only thing connected to the black/yellow is the keyswitch. Im pretty sure the kill switch is the same circuit though.

Let us know. Oh yea if anyone see's i'm suggesting things wrong please correct me!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

How did you determine that your kill circuit is "grounded all the time"? If the two "M" terminals on your keyswitch test positive for continuity at all except when the switch is "off", then you are correct, the switch is bad.

Otherwise you can rule out the keyswitch & boat wiring harness by testing for spark with the main harness plug (big red plug) disconnected. Turn the engine over by jumping the solenoid. If the engine starts like that you'll have to use the manual choke lever to shut it off - or just disconnect and ground the other two spark plug leads while you test one. If you get spark with the plug disconnected, troubleshoot the keyswitch, emergency kill switch (if equipped) and boat wiring harness.

Post your results.

p.s. The boat will run without a battery, but that'll fry the rectifier - meaning that when you put the battery back in, the motor won't charge it.

p.s.s. To jump the solenoid, use a jumper wire to connect the positive solenoid terminal (large terminal with red battery cable attached), to the input terminal (small terminal with red/purple wire - or is it a yellow/red wire - in any case, it's the one that *doesn't* have a black ground wire on it).

texas1962

Cadet

The way I seen it was grounded all the time was I pat the clamp end of my test light on the positive side of my battery then used the pointed end to tell me what was grounded. This morning I pulled the black/yellow wire at the power pack,same test,that termernal on the power pack is grounded. I say power pack bad.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

refer to 77larks post for my test to check the power pack