Using engine analyzer

GWK

Recruit
Does anyone know if I can use my old Sears automotive engine analyzer on a Chrysler outboard to set idle? Just want to use as a tach. red and blk to hot and ground. Green lead on cars would go to dist. side of coil. My outboard does not use a distributor. I tried connecting to purple wire (tach) on engine but reading way too much (6000 rpm).

Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Using engine analyzer

It won't work properly. They are made for 4 stroke engines.

GWK

Recruit

Thanks for the response bhile.

I thought it might work since the dwelltach uses coil output for a signal. Do they make separate tachs for 2 stroke and 4 stroke? I'm new to this.

Thanks again.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Outboard tachs must be matched to the number of "poles" in the stator (charging unit).

Some are 4 pole, 6 pole, 8 pole, 12 pole, or 20 pole.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it has the clamp on type of inductive pickup, you can use it as an inductive tach as long as you do the correct math.

If the pickup was intended to go on one spark plug wire of any number of cylinder engine (4, 6, 8), then put the pickup on one of your spark plug wires and divide the RPM you see by 2. (the 4 stroke tach expects 1 pulse per evey 2 revs, you're giving it 1 per every rev)

If the inductive pickup was designed to go on the coil hi-tension wire, then set it for 4 cylinder, put it on one of your spark wires and multiply the RPM you read by 2. (the analyzer expects 2 pulses per rev, you're giving it 1 per)

If its not an inductive pickup and it was designed to connect to the output of the points, you may be able to figure out somewhere else to connect it but this will take a little more thought. Example: your analyzer, set for 8 cylinder, expects to see 4 pulses per revolution on a four stroke. If connected to the stator, and if you have a 20 pole stator, it's putting out 20 pulses per rev, so divide the analyzer's reading by 5. Make sense?

Good Luck!

GWK

Recruit

Thanks for responding QuadManiac and Roscoe. I appreciate any and all feedback. My analyzer is an older one. It is not inductive. Your explanation makes sense. Any way I can determine # poles of stator w/o pulling flywheel? My Chrysler manual doesn't say. It does show a picture of a 20 pole stator. Manual is for engines 90 thru 140. Probably all use same.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine is 20. I'll check my manual later to see if it shows any difference. I believe there's a page that describes those differences by year and HP.

What year, HP, etc is yours?

GWK

Recruit

Sorry for late response - out of town.
I have a 1983 Chrysler 90 hp, model 908V3B.