Vibration when turning.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer
Had the boat out tonight (love night boating!:)) and am getting some pretty bad (in my opinion), vibration from the drive. Only when I turn and the more I turn the louder and more I feel it. This is at idle getting harsher as the RPM's rise. I imagine this has something to do with the U-Joints? I just had a brand spankin new drive shaft assembly put in and gimball. Prop is dang near new without a single ding.
Drive is all the way down and I don't feel anything while going straight..
Thanks for any help.

Boat is in my signature below VVV

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: Vibration when turning.

Sounds like u-joints. :confused: What ever it is, its time to pull the drive and have a look.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Drive is all the way down and I don't feel anything while going straight..

Try trimming it up some, you shouldn't be running with it all the way down anyway, that would make the bow plow instead of planing.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pull drive off, especially if it was just apart, could be the gimbel was not seated right and slide back, u-Joints etc. either way it will get ugly soon and take a look.

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've read here that u-joints if it growls when turning and gimbal bearing if it growls when tilted up or down. I've read elsewhere it's usually the gimbal if it growls when turning. Either way, your drive is coming out for inspection.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

I flushed it yesterday (motor/drive on the water hose) and as the RPM's raise I hear a "tock,tock,tock" sound. It was not audible in the water. Drive was down and straight.
Kinda po'd and do not want to take it back to the shop. Last time I took it in they kept it for 3 weeks after telling me they were not busy at all.
Could I have done something to cause this? They installed the new gimball,driveshaft w/new u-joints (brand new assembly),bellows and aligned motor. I have a feeling they are going to try and get me to pay for it. If this is something they could warranty that would be great but I would like to go in armed with some answers so they do not and try and pin it on me. That is of course if I couldn't have caused this problem. Only used maybe 15hrs after they did repair right around memorial day.
If I pull they drive to inspect are they going to give me a hard time because I pulled it myself?
Thanks everyone for your thoughts thus far.:cool:

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

Try trimming it up some, you shouldn't be running with it all the way down anyway, that would make the bow plow instead of planing.
I did try different trim positions, but it changed nothing.