need help no fire on 63 75hp evinrude

ford400bronco

Recruit
i just got ahold of a 18 or 19 foot aristocraft boat with a 63 75hp evinrude starflite mark 5 selectric shift.modle #75393e motor truns over but i have no fire. and when the motor truns over the prop truns with the shift in nutrul. can and one help me.. i jump 12v to the extarul coil and i can get fire when it frist truns over and then it goes away.but when u let off strarter it if have fire. can any help me.. wireing on motor not so good. taped up wires that where falling apart.. where do i start.i have 90lbs compresson in all4 cyc. boats in good shape.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need help no fire on 63 75hp evinrude

order a service manual and parts manual from outboardbooks.com. the reason i say parts manual, as there is no place on line to look up parts for a 1963. you are going to really need it. use your model number to look up the proper manual. they are pricey, but well worth the money. you have an electric shift motor, it has solenoids in the lower unit, that shifts the gear box. when there is not 12 volt to the solenoids it defaults to forward, that's why the prop turns. highly recommend removing the prop when working on it. to prevent cut legs.

yorab

Ensign
Re: need help no fire on 63 75hp evinrude

I believe that the '63 electric shift has electromagnetic coils in the LU, not solenoids. Therefore, the unit should be in nuetral by default unless the forward or reverse circuit is energized.