mercruiser wont start. stumped.

bigguy6f4

Seaman
Hey guys, Im new to the game so excuse my stupid questions i have.

I have a 1971 mercuriser with a gm 165 hp motor. 4.1 liter i belive

Ok here's the deal. Everything worked last summer, i went to crank it this week and the dash went dead. I found there was a breaker on the motor. I pressed the button and power was back up to the dash. Motor will crank and start running, but when i let off the crank postion on the igniton switch, it dies.

(this is where it gets confusing)

Ok, there are 3 wires going to the ingition switch. one has constant volts, one has volts when the key is in the "on" position. and one has volts when its in the "crank" position.

The wire that is always hot is RED
The wire that is the "ON" is white
The wire that is "CRANK" is yellow

Ok... when i crank the motor, the motor fires up. However when i let off the key from the crank position the motor dies. Ive been in hot pursuit to find out why this happens.

So, in my pursuit i noticed that with the key in the "ON" position that the white wire gets REALLY hot! so hot infact that it started melting the wires.
So i figure i have a short somewhere. sure enough i found 1. the wire harness was against the engine block on a casting burr and rubbed right into the wire.

This WHITE wire starts at the igntion switch, runs to all the guages, then runs back to the motor somewhere. (and i think where ever this runs too has to do with the motor not running.) I did find a white wire running to the coil. however i can not see if it runs to something before it hits the coil. Perhaps an ignitor? Ive never heard of an ignitor untill tonight. However if my ignitor was bad i dont understand how when i crank the motor it fires up. but when i let off the key i stops.

I tested my coil and am getting 1.5 ohm from positive to negitive. 12k ohms from positive to top of coil. same for negitive. according to what ive found online that seems to be within specs i think.

Any ideas?

Personally im ruling out the ignition switch being bad since im getting proper voltage from every contact when the key is in the corrosponding position.

And Id really be interested in what the white wire would be running to since it starts at the igntion switch, goes to the guages, then inters the main harness wire loom and goes all the way to the motor. somewhere behind the motor i lose bearing on the wire and cannot see where it heads too.

MikDee

Banned
Re: mercruiser wont start. stumped.

Without looking, all I can tell you is, the "On" or ignition (white?) wire should go to the coil (pos. +) side, the other side of the coil should have a black wire going to the distributor (minus -), somewhere there is another wire on the coil that goes to the tachometer, don't remember offhand which side it goes on? I think the (minus -) side.

Wait, there might be a shift ignition interrupt switch on the back top of your engine where the shift cable is, and then back to where I said on the coil. Check this first.

bigguy6f4

Seaman

Ok,, here is what i got,, i have 2 wires on the negitive side, and 2 wires on the positive side. the white wire is on positive as well as a brown one going back into the engive harness. the negetive has 2 wires too. one runs to the distributor, and the other runs to back into the harness.

bigguy6f4

Seaman

ok i got it working! stupid me i skipped something that my little 12 year old brother suggested! haha.

after i found that short against the engine block, i didnt try cranking the motor after i fixed it. only because i had already dissconnected the resistor wire from the coil. and after i fixed the short i tried touching the resistor wire to the coil with the key on only to see that it was sparking. I thought this was a bad thing! Upon further research into coil systems and how they work i found this is correct if the points were open or closed! (i cant remember which) so using my brothers simple resoning of just try it and see method, i was very suprised to see it cranked and ran on the first try after hooking every back up!

And after some searching on this website i found out the resistor wire can get hot and that its normal.

If im incorrect in any of this then plz feel free help me out! thanks!

MikDee

Banned

I thought your white wire was your resistor wire? anyway, yes, you need a resistor wire on a system with points, or they'll burn up. The newer electronic ignitions don't need them. By the way, I think one wire on the negative side of the coil is for your tachometer, the other one is for the points. I would guess your solenoid was stuck by corrosion when you first had a problem with it staring while cranking, the dying when you let go of the key.

crs5357

Cadet

I have a 1970-same problem. It is the ignition switch on mine.

Good luck.