battery relocation question

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2002 nitro 700lx DC bass rig, I have 3 batteries in the boat, 2 troll and 1 cranking. The boat has 2 Rod lockers on it and one larger center locker.
I am considering moving the batteries to the front of the center locker to better distribute the weight.

Any bad side to doing this that I am not aware of?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: battery relocation question

The only thing that comes to mind is the length of the cable run. You'll more than likely need to upgrade your starting cables if nothing else. If you're running 8 or 10 then you might consider going to a 4. Again, depending on the run.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was planning on leaving the starting battery at the back and only moving the trolling batteries forward. The starting battery I was going to move to the opposite side of the boat, currently it is on teh drivers side, hoping to better balance the boat out...

I would also use a shorter run of cable for the Trolling motor, but leave the original run in place in case I ever needed to move them back.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

I think you'll be fine with that. Just recheck your amp load to the trolling motor from where you plan on placing it. I believe most owner's manuals will give you a length run for a specific wire size.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Put a few sandbags in the locker and go drive it for a while before you go through all the work. Usually bassboats are all about getting the weight as far back as possible engine and all (jackplate) so the hull lifts better and the boat is faster (more efficient). Nitro has their boats worked out pretty well I'd be surprised if you benefit from moving that much weight forward.