how to install pedastal seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, how do I install a pedastal seat? Do I need to cut a hole in the floor or are their some kind of anchor that I can use instead? thanks.

DufferJim

Seaman Apprentice
Re: how to install pedastal seat

With or without a baseplate, you'll still need to cut a hole in the floor, unless you specifically use a system that's contained completely above the mounting surface, or build one yourself. Most pedestal systems I'm aware of require a hole in the floor or whatever surface they'll be mounted to.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Whatever baseplate you use,use plenty of 3m 4200 sealer on every hole you punch in the floor.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just one more piece of advice...... KNOW WHAT IS UNDER THE DECK!!!! You do not want to hit the hull or a fuel line.......:eek:

If you can access under the deck place a sheet of plywood to spread the load out.

ryan04

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm hoping there is another way to put the bases on. I've heard there is some kind of anchor that stick in a 1/2" hole and it expands underneath the deck and holds the seat down? Is this sort of thing true?

fishnfiend

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The center of the pedestal base is about 3" in diameter and hangs about 2" under the deck. Another possibility is to build a storage box, attach to floor, and mount seat on box. Now, if you really want to get creative, make a round seat mount out of fiberglass (use a small trash can as a mold), attach to floor, and mount seat on it.

I mounted my pedestal mounts on my new floor before it went down. Glassed a 10 wooden donut underneath the mount spot, then glassed in stainless capture nuts. The mount is now 1" thick, leak free, and rock solid. Much easier when floor is out, though.

As an aside, I really like the pedestal seats. Makes the interior look bigger. Easy to remove for storage. Can pop the seats out for a flat surface during an over-nighter.

Enjoy.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To install a pedestal seat, locate the center of the base plate on the deck. Most of the bases require a 3 1/4" hole to be drilled. A holesaw of that size does nicely. As mentioned in another post, beware of what is beneath the deck. Use an electric drill with a low rpm and high torque with a stop gauge, if possible.

If the deck is covered with carpet or vinyl, take a tin can with both ends cut out, hole it with vise grips and heat the other end with a propane or maaps torch to cut a clean self-sealed circle out of the flooring goods; then drill away. There are all kinds of fastening methods attaching the base plate to the deck. If you have a wood substrate, the biggest stainless steel oval head wood screws that are 1" long will do fine.

In fiberglas decks Riv-nuts can be used but should be backed with aluminum plate fender washers(they can be made on a drill press and a hole saw). Screw the base plate to the deck with a couple of screws and drill the appropriate sized holes. After removing the base plate, use the hole in the deck to insert your backing washers and push the riv-nut through and squeeze.

This is mine, just screwed to the deck with screws. It works fine. It is not a leaning post, however. 230lb and a 28" post creates a lot of leverage :D

DSCN0002.jpg

reelfishin

Captain

I just redid my floors in my one boat and the pedestal base seats were anchored down to the floor with stainless toggle bolts. Like the ones you would use to anchor to a hollow wall. The bases were flush mounted and there were 8 holes on each base. They were impossible to remove though till I actually got the old floor up and out of the boat since the original bolts had seized and were just spinning.
Here's an example:
http://www.iboats.com/Garelick_Stai...id.250654--list_time.1185937181--view_id.2616

When I re-installed the floor, I made up an aluminum plate with 8 stainless studs to and epoxied it to the underside of the floor with the studs protruding just high enough though the new plywood floor to allow me to use stainless acorn nuts to attach each seat base with. I also resin coated the top and bottom and sealed in each stud to make certain that each hole was completely water proof, with or without the seats installed.
My problem with the toggle bolt style is the fact that you need about a 1/2" hole to install each toggle though.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking boat burroak.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice looking boat burroak.

Thanks, I remember your dilemma redoing the dash. What did you finally decide to do. If you are interested, I posted some other pictures in the Starcraft section.

Back to the ped installation; there are many ways to anchor the base. Everything that has been posted will work. Just remember that the ped is not meant to be a towing post. In my boat, only the captain uses that seat.:D Rule 1. You break it, you fix it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, I remember your dilemma redoing the dash. What did you finally decide to do. If you are interested, I posted some other pictures in the Starcraft section.

I'll respond there.

Status
Not open for further replies.