Suzuki DT140 -86 water sensor problem

Bluebear

Cadet
Hi!
Before reading I?m not whining.

I bought a old engine 2 years ago. It brought me only trouble:mad:
Amount of time spent using it is less than a few hours. This is the story.

The seller told me the engine had been refurbished after an overheating condition. My mistake for beliving him. He said that one piston and two rings had been replaced. After the first very short trip, it overheated again.
Took the head of and found pure missery. Instead of changing gasket he had used som sort of sealing silicone and clooged the two broken/melted head connectors passage. So no cooling to the top half. Before the first run I changed the impeller just in case.

Ordered new gaskets and connectors and refurbished that part including changing the thermostat. Happy enough i took it out for a second spin. This one lasted the rest of that summer, but the water light was flicking on and of around 3000 rpm. So I could never try it at WOT. Also it ran poorly on idle due to flooded carbs.
For the sake of it I checked compression and noticed one cylinder of the mark. Disassembled the hole engine and refurbished with 1 new piston and 2 new rings. New gaskets all the way. Also refurbished the carbs whith new needles. Back on and now it had gone 2 years since i tried it the first time. Since the cooling water sensor had flicked I also replaced that one to a new. Hoped for improvment i started it up. No luck. The water light went of ~10 sec and with some throttle it came on again around ~3000 rpm, but not consistent. Sigh!!!

Now I hoped it would be some clogging in water inlet or damaged impelller, but that was not the case. Refurbished the water pump anyways with new gasket and impeller. Tried it again, same result but now the water light came on even on idle. At this time acctually, yesterday, my patince was running really thin but as a final adjustment took away the sensor to check if any water was reaching that point.
To my surrprise it was bursting out and when flipping the water sensor bulb the water light did?nt change accordingly. So it is the f***** water sensor that has given me all this trouble. And it is new!!!
After further studies i noticed that the water light came on just as the engine reaches normal temp. It does not overheat, at least at idle for 30 minutes of fiddling. So correct me if I?m wrong, but the sensor shouldn?t react to heat right, only to water flow? It is the new sensor with 3 wires, though i only use 2 of them. How do I remove this sensor so the rev limit doesn?t kick in? I tend to change this one also but i would like to test my engine with more rpm then 3000.

Sorry, long first post.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Suzuki DT140 -86 water sensor problem

Welcome to iboats :) .... I had the same nonsense with my 115hp .... drove me nuts, at the end of the day it was a cracked waterpump housing and corroded terminals ..... but anyway .... the sensor will react to heat yes .... you say it doesn't overheat but does after 30 minutes .... ?

Bluebear

Cadet

Thanks for the answer deejaycee_2000.
Yes, the water light comes on when starting the engine as normal. It turns off after 10 sec. Let the engine run on idlle and check temp by hand. When it heats upp to normal temperature, the engine is comfortably warm, the water light comes on again. Since I have not meassured the exact temp I can?t say what it is, but I can hold my hand everywhere without burning or discomfort.
That should tell me that the engine is not overheating, but the sensor is reacting to a low temperature.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I find it strange that you say the sensor have 3 wires, it should only have 2 ..... did you order a new sensor from brownspoint.com?

Bluebear

Cadet

yes ordered from Brownspoint and it seems that the old one is replaced with this on: 34870-94630
In the package there were some installation instructions as too how it should be wired.
It replaced the old part number. The third wire is violet/white and should be left free. No idea what this cable is for.

Checked www.brownspoint.com again and it looks like all engine with the cooling water sensor assy have had them replaced by this new one.

Bluebear

Cadet

Tried the engine today. Felt everywhere on the engine to check if it overheated. Well, on the exhaust side it seemed to be warmer on number 2 cylinder from top. It wasn?t burning but warmer than the head. I belive I have to take it apart to see if something is clogging. Sigh, why didn?t I take away the exhaust cover to check when I had the powerhead loose from the rig.
Sigh and sigh!!!

Input on this is highly appreciated.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

hahaha, one learns from mistakes, and yep you gonna have to open it up and have a look or use compressor to try and unblock (if there is something) but opening the exhaust plate would be a good start ....

Bluebear

Cadet

hahaha, one learns from mistakes, and yep you gonna have to open it up and have a look or use compressor to try and unblock (if there is something) but opening the exhaust plate would be a good start ....

:rolleyes: One surley does. Wating for the winter, no hurry now when the holliday and summer near its end. Are you sure the sensor also is reacting to
heat? I mean, my thoughts was that it was only a flow sensor. It would, explain the odd behavoiur of the sensor as it goes red when the motor heats up.
Anyways, thanks a lot for the advise deejaycee_2000. Keep them coming;)

Hope to find some clogging when taking apart my engine again.

jascorr

Recruit

i also have a sensor problem mine is the throttle control sensor mine will not idle as long as the sensor is connected. both the water sensor and the throttle control sensor get their power (voltage) from the #2 coil on the magnito. on mine the voltage is not correct . I wonder if that is what is screwing up your water sensor.
just a passing thought.
good luck
jas

hopalong

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would suggest you install a pressure gage or at least a temperature gage to "see" what the actual conditions are of the water. In the lower unit at the water upper intake it connects to the ss plate and if the plate is warped or not sealed properly it may be sucking air at normal rpms and causing a water flow/psi or heat related problem. Just a thought

Bluebear

Cadet

@ hopalong & jascorr & all

Sorry for this overdue reply, thought I would update how the work has progressed since the last time;)

So, I ripped my rig apart to make sure no clogging. Could not find any problem.
Changed impeller to a brand new. Still no go. Tempsensor kept glowing red.
Ordered a new sensor from brownspoint and last summer 2008, I only had a week in water due to work, but belive it or not it worked flawless. So it seems that my new sensor was faulty and a replacement cured this problem. Has worked since with no hickups.

I?ve been thinking on jascorr suggestion and I might still have the same problem, as my idle adjustment (The knobb to change Idle speed) does not work. Idle speed now is at 2000rpm, and that is not ok! So my thought know is that it might still be a similar issue. I will check and post back my findings.