Retired U-Haul truck repair help

SoulWinner

Commander
We have a retired U-Haul, the big one with the 26' box with over cab storage. The truck is an International, but I don't know what model, and I need a manual or something. Some of the fuel injectors are leaking and pooling fuel on top of the engine and I need to fix those, plus, the engine has gotten to where it doesn't want to start. Last night I was trying to start it and it wouldn't start. I ended up killing the batteries, jumped it and when it finally started the starter wouldn't disengage and I think I killed the dang starter! So I am very frustrated with this because I have very little patience for machines that don't work properly. I need to find a service manual for this truck, but since I don't know the model, and I know nothing about commercial diesel trucks I have no idea where to go to get a manual for it. I don't even know where to take it for repairs! Any help with would be great. Anybody here know where to get a manual, parts, or service on trucks like this??

dave68iou1

Seaman
Re: Retired U-Haul truck repair help

Start with looking up your information on the drivers side door jam. This should give you more info about the truck

If it's an international, the service manuals should be found through a google search for your specific model truck. If the diesel is not starting right away, I would start with a compression test and fix the leaking fuel injectors. Diesel's are much easier to work on than most gas powered. Without enough fuel pressure, the glow plugs have to work much harder to ignite the compressed fuel.

As for the starter, many of these can be rebuilt, although you may have gotten lucky. Track your wires and be sure you have good grounds. Hopefully this will get you started. With more information about the model truck and motor size, I could probably be more help.

SoulWinner

Commander

Thanks Dave. I'll check the door jam and see if I can find the model.

Oregon Jon

Seaman

If you haven't found out yet, I believe that it is a Navistar 6000. If you go to your local U-haul dealer, they might have some info as far as basic service. If they can give you an idea of when one of the U-haul fix it guys (known as an MRU) will be out working on one of their trucks, you might be able to pick his brain. We have a U-Haul dealership in Oregon, and that's where I would start.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

A lot of those Haybinders had DT444's in them.

ndemge

Commander

Any good mom/pop mechanics around? Look in a shop in a rural area. The farther out you go, the more often you find someone good at working on old farm trucks. At least that's how it is around here.