Adjusting Rockers 4.3

jdtower23

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Adjusting Rockers 4.3

I am going to get the crank tool tomorrow I guess....it just feels weird trying to push it....it feels so solidly stuck right now.....damnit....the thing is, what took the LONGEST putting this back together was my prep work.....I went over the block like crazy....it looks new....I kept double checking the pistons to make sure no spec of anything was in them before i dropped the head on.....

Coors

Captain

You probably can't get good leverage, but it moving is good.
Yes, get the tool and spin it from the front, if it spins good, ok
if it doesn't, we can help.

jdtower23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Coors....I know I made the dumb mistake with the timing, but other than that i was very careful putting this back together.....i didn't take anything lightly and made sure I had all the best thread sealants, gaskets, etc...

Coors

Captain

Try to turn it, if it won't turn, you may try pulling the drive off next, then try again.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Also, pull the distributor out and see if it will turn.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Exactly how far down did you pull the engine? If you went to the short block and did not touch the crank, rods, cam timing gears or timing chain those components should not be an issue. However if when "cleaning up the cylinder boars with steel wool" and blowing them out with compressed air, steel shavings (from the steel wool) may have lodged between the rings and cylinder walls seizing them. FWIW only a thought.

MikDee

Banned

Just wanna throw this out there, if you turned the engine backwards at any time, your water pump impeller maybe jammed, and I doubt you'll free it up by trying to turn the crank over, because of the binding torque multiplication of the drive gears!, Also, if everything is taken off the engine now, or loose, except for the pistons, and engine internals, and you are pretty sure there is nothing in the way of the engine internals, why not just let the starter try to turn the motor over? Or, it appears to me you might have to take your drive off, or just the impeller.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Just a couple of things for thought.

If the drive is UP the u-joint can get in a bind, we all know how expensive it can get to forget to put a drive down before starting(or turning) the engine.

An old factory manual says a quick check for gear engagement is to stand on the prop and turn the engine over with your body weight, just remember that you turn the prop backward to test forward gear engagement and test/turn it forward for reverse gear engagement.

If the engine still does not turn by hand then remove the drive. Period

jdtower23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Distributor is out already....no change....tried to find the crank tool at Napa today and couldn't find it in the store.....they acted like they haven't heard of it....anyone know any other sources? I know Advance also doesn't have it...

On the steel wool, I used a real fine grade and had oil in there to absorb some of the pieces....blowing it out with the air seemed to clean it out well....I got down close and went over it real well.....

I just pulled both heads, had a complete valve job on them, and installed new head gaskets....also had my intake blasted at the machine shop....heads were in good shape.... guy at the machine shop said I probably didn't even need a valve job but I went ahead and did it....did have one "tuliped" valved...where the center is kinda sucked in....said head wasn't warped at all....took 4 thousandths off just to clean it up....

Drive is down right now.....I hope I didn't start it with it up but I didn't know it HAD to be down when I got the boat....pretty sure I didn't though....one stupid thing I did was put it in gear trying to throttle it before I knew how to work the shift lever....but only temporarily....

As far as the water pump, if you are talking about the drive impeller, I actually have it out right now....I took the housing with me to the marine shop just to ask if they thought I needed the kit or just the impeller...guy actually said the impeller looked fine and told me just to grease it and put it back in....

The motor water pump spins freely.....

I wasn't able to do anything today to it....I'm going to mess with it again tomorrow....does anybody NOT recommend trying to use the starter to crank it? Still going to try to locate the tool if I can....

Thanks a lot....

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't recommend using the starter because if it is locked up you could break the starter or do damage to the flywheel.

If you can't find the tool, remove the front pulley from the balancer, get three 2 inch long bolts and screw them into the balancer (same bolt holes that hold the pulley on) and using a pry bar try to turn the engine. With this you can turn the engine either direction.

Just match the thread pitch and diameter to the bolts you removed from the pulley, adding a couple inches to the length. Be sure to thread them in about 3/8ths of an inch. If you screw them in to far they can hit the timing cover.

jdtower23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do I need any special puller or anything to remove the front pulley from the balancer? Is it only only held on by those 3 bolts?

Thanks

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Why haven't you just went ahead and PULLED the outdrive to see if that is the problem?

FreeBeeTony

Captain

That was my first thought..............pull the outdrive.

Just because it goes in/out of gear doesn't mean it's not locked-up.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Do I need any special puller or anything to remove the front pulley from the balancer? Is it only only held on by those 3 bolts?

Thanks

The three bolts and the center bolt that you have been trying to turn the engine with.

jdtower23

Petty Officer 1st Class

It moves!!! Used a couple bolts on the balancer and just used a hammer to pry between them.....I tried backwards first, and the strangest thing happened......fuel dumped out on my intake manifold....I had the line just sitting in the fitting of the carb but not tightened....why would this happen? It couldn't have only been fuel pressure stopping me could it??

jdtower23

Petty Officer 1st Class

It moves like silk now!! I can probably get it to move with one hand!!

jdtower23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone have any idea what may have caused it to bind? What should I do before I proceed?

Thanks

jdtower23

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nobody has any thoughts on this? Could the fuel pump rod have been in a bind? That's the only thing i can think of since the fuel bursted out......