Eratic tach, speedometer on sea ray

allmorro

Cadet
I have a 1997 Sea Ray 210 BR with 142 hrs. 315 hp 5.7 L alpha GenII, carburetor equipped. The problem is with the gauges. The tach sometimes seems to be accurate, then 10 minutes later will be reading much too high. Last time I was out, it said the motor idled at 1800 rpm, and ran to 6000 at wot, then 10 min later, idle was 600 and wot 4600 rpm. The speedometer also often seems not to work most of the time, but sometimes registers, but when it does, it is always slow (Wot = 40 mph, actual over 55mph). The engine has only 42 hours on it (new last year), and runs great. There is no apparent change in engine sound, boat speed, etc when the gauges do their dance.. .so it is not the motor directly. Finally, the oil pressure gauge registers correct oil pressure (or seems to), but the warning horn attached to it continuously emits a soft alarm sound even when oil pressure is 50 psi (but gets very loud as it should when ignition is on and engine not running (oil pressure = 0).

What gives? Radio, lights, everything else works, engine starts and idles and runs fine, but these gauges seem wacky? Any ideas appreciated.

tommays

Admiral
Re: Eratic tach, speedometer on sea ray

The 10 pin plug on the motor with the hose clamp on it gets a bit crusty

All the wires pass through it and just unpluging it and repluging will solve many problems as and easy first step in rueling things out

The speedo works on water pressure and never that well so it is duifferent problem

Tommays

cbelgum

Cadet

I have the same problem with my 1989 Sunray, I'll check the plug. As for teh speedo, check the pitot tube at the stern - it is effctively the sensor. If it gets knocked it will kick up and stay there, you may need to click it back down again. Also it may be too close to the out drive and be getting washed out by prop wash. If that is the case try moving it out a bit (perhaps 6 inches to a foot) making sure it is actually below the water line when you are under way. Hope that helps.

Chris B

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Speedometer pitots frequently get clogged with debris so make sure the little pin hole is clear.

allmorro

Cadet

Just a belated update FYI... never solved he speedo problem (bought GPS) , but the tach settled down after I switched the setting on the back a few time from 8 cylinder to 6 to 4 and then back to 8 cylinder. Apparently, tachs of this vintage had an adjuster to set the number of cylinders... moving it back and forth a bit clears the contacts.. .problem solved. Saw this on another forum somewhere... thought I would pass it along.
jsm