Merc 150 XR4 Help!

julesstar

Cadet
I just got a bass boat and Today it kept popping fuses...Both trim (While Running) and Starter fuse once. I went thru about 5 trim fuses as soon as I tried to trim the motor up while running the fuse would blow and...No Trim??? Sorry I am new to thisa site and Boat motors. Can anyone HELP??:confused: By the way it is a 1989 mercury 150XR4. I hope someone can help. I just got the boat about a week ago and have taken the next week off to fish. Please Help!!

Last edited:

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Merc 150 XR4 Help!

It's usually a wire with the insulation worn thru at the bottom of the throttle/shift arm.

whiplash921

Cadet
Re: Merc 150 XR4 Help!

I agree. Check all of your wiring from the throttle box back to the motor. If one of the wires for your trim circuit are worn down bare, it is probably shorting out to metal ground somewhere. Your job is to find out where. It is a painstaking process sometimes, but it should get you going. Also don't be afraid to take the cowling off of your motor to check the wires to your trim solenoids. They should be on the middle-front-starboard side of the motor. If ANY of those wires are bare, there is your problem.

julesstar

Cadet
Re: Merc 150 XR4 Help!!! AGAIN!!!!

Re: Merc 150 XR4 Help!!! AGAIN!!!!

Thank You ALL for your help! What a great site this is. I did find a wire that had a spot where it was won down and was making contact. I fixed the problem and as I was testing it on the water...I was doing about 30MPH when my engine reved high for a second, I shut her down and NOW...It won't go into gear forward or reverse??? I hate to bother you guys but My father-inlaw has a 1989 Mercury 115HP VRO that the lower unit is good. He said I am welcome to it if it will work the power head?? is Bad on it but he said he had the lower unit rebuilt about a year ago...Does anybody know if I could be soooo lucky that this lower unit could fit on my 1989 150XR4 Black Max?? Please HELP!!! This is my 1st boat and my wife already wants to ring my neck!!! LOL Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.