Adding OEM Tilt/Trim to 1994 60 HP Johnson

richie722

Recruit
Hello all, this is my first post here.

I want to add the OEM tilt trim to my 1994 Johnson 60HP outboard.

My contol at the dash already has the switch.

I think all I need is the following parts:

Tilt/Trim unit
Cowl Switch
Tilt Relay Box

I have looked at my motor and I am not sure where the tilit relay box would mount. Can anybody tell me where I might be able to find the mounting location?

Currently, at the rear end of the motor is a loose 5 way connector that has 5 wires in it. Is that for the tilt system?

Also, how can I tell if I would need the 2 wire motor system or the 3 wire.

Has anybody else don this upgrade? Any advice would be great.

I have seen the CMC aftermarket system and am not interested, I just want to add the OEM style.

Thanks in advance!

-Rich

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adding OEM Tilt/Trim to 1994 60 HP Johnson

Welcome to IBoats!! If you have 5 wires in your terminal, you need the 3 wire set up. The 2 wire set up just reverses polarity to raise and lower the TNT. The blue for up "like the sky", the green for down "like the grass", a hot or power and the other 2 are for the trim gauge on you dash. You can mount the solenoid box anywhere, preferrably near the battery and away from the elements(rain). If you get it and need any more help let us know, its not that difficult, GL

richie722

Recruit

HighTrim,

Thanks for the reply.

I have been looking on e-bay and I see a couple different relay boxes. I think that the relay box mounts somewhere inside the engine cowl. Does any body have a 60 horse (or any 3 cylinder Johnson of close size) that could take a picture of where the trim box mounts.

Will the 5 wire plug install into the relay box or is there an intermediate harness that is needed?

richie722

Recruit

In case anybody else is thinking of adding power tilt/trim to their unit, I thought I would post my success story.

I bought a tilt and trim unit off Ebay for $260 shipping included. My motor is a 1994 60 HP 3 cylinder and the unit I bought was from a 1988 90 HP V-4.

I removed the manual tilt assist cylinder and installed the power unit. Took a little persuation to get it in, but it fit in nicely once I jimmied it into place.

Next, I removed the linkages and tilt brackets associated with the manual system, they were in the way of the new unit.

I picked up (2) 5 pin relays and wiring harnesses at the local auto parts store and bulit my own polarity swtiching electrical harness. Spliced the harness into the tilt/trim circuits from the switch on the throttle control and then hooked up the 2 wires from the power tilt motor to my harness. I even installed an inline fuse to protect the wiring.

All works fine, nobody would know it didn't come like that from the factory.

Total cost was around $300.00 and took around 2 hours from start to finish.

-Rich