Help Mercruiser 140 running rough

Milky

Recruit
Hi all, I recently got a 1985 ski boat with a Mercruiser 140. The last few years it has had a problem where it runs rough when it is hot. We recently cleaned the carb (did not rebuild though), drained the gas tank, new plugs, new cap, points, condenser, set timing. We took it out, ran great for about 30 mins to an hour in the morning. We decided to bring it back and pick up a couple friends to go skiing that afternoon. Again it ran great for about an hour, everyone got to ski, then we decided to run down to the sand bar. Get everything back in the boat, open her up and all of sudden it starts running really badly, surging, no power.

Any ideas on what else to do? Plug wires and rebuilding the carb would seem like the next step to me. The fuel pump is also only a few years old as is the coil. I checked for a S/N on the block, but there is no tag there. On the head it has a sticker with hp, plug gap, point gap, etc and shows a serial number of 4943469. I do not know what year the engine is since quite a few years ago they had the boat out of the water to get reupholstered and left the drain plug in and had to replace the engine and/or just the block, I am not sure.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help Mercruiser 140 running rough

Is the rough running at all speeds, or only high speed.

Milky

Recruit

It seems to be mainly at high speeds, but now that I think about it wasn't running very well as we limped back to the launch. It is definitely better at lower rpms, but still a little rough. But for the first hour it ran very smooth.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the plugs and check for signs of water. Also do a compression test.