What is considered NO WAKE?

RubberDuckie

Cadet
Re: What is considered NO WAKE?

I thought I was reading the "Stupid Human Tricks" section, not the "Rant and Rave and Whine" section...

tommays

Admiral

Well :D

i guess in free america you should not be able to save up and form a water ski club that keeps all the people you seem to hate so much in one area were there wakes cant bother you :rolleyes:

Tommays

freddyray21

Commander

I agree you are responsible for your own wake. However, no wake does not mean that. No wake means idle speed putting out no to minimum wake off your boat.

There is nothing wrong with buying a lake. There are several lakes around here some of them large enough to ski on that are private. You have to be a homeowner or know one to use the lake. There are plenty of waterways to fish and ski on in the world without demanding all waterways have public access.

There are also a lot of big lakes here I would not put my boat on . I have an 18ft Searay and I know the 30+ foot boats will be on that lake and I don't want to fight their wakes. Those that say you need to be considerate of my boat are denying the people who own those boats the right to use their boat. You can't use your 30ft boat because it will cause too big a wake for my 20 ft boat. You can't use your 20ft boat because it will cause too big a wake for my 15 ft fishing boat with a 25 hp. You can't use your 15 ft boat because it will upset my canoe. After awhile all we have on the lakes are canoes. I try to be considerate of others especially canoe and kayaks. However, on one of the rivers I boat you can pass side by side with another boat as it is wide enough, but get a canoe out there and now are we supposed to drop our skier load him up idle until we get past the canoe then put out skier back in? Even on the lakes I go to there is heavier traffic on the weekends. I usually get up and go early in the morning and get my playing done before those boats get out. Either find a lake that doesn't have those size boats or get out when you know they won't be out.

Last edited:

CATransplant

Admiral

The worst part is the river connects to a big lake that many of these boats are headed to. There is a bar/restaraunt/campground upriver before it gets to shallow to move without being planned out or going no wake and then its a bit to shallow. This is where they are usually headed. I love that place myself because it is my docking location. I guess I'll just have to live with the wakes and start taking pictures and reporting.

Thanks for pointing this out. It does change the perception of the situation. So this river is not a boating destination in itself, but enters into a lake. In that case, it sounds to me like it should be a no-wake zone. How far is that bar, etc. from the lake?

Some folks see to think that they cannot drive their boat at anything less than full throttle, so everyone can see just how big their boat (or whatever) is. That is especially true after lunch at the restaurant, washed down by several beers, it seems.

I see a similar thing at a couple of the ramps I use. Some boaters just have to back out just a little ways, turn around, then hammer the throttle immediately, it seems, instead of waiting until they're out of the no-wake zone.

I guess it's more manly to do that. :mad:

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Well :D

i guess in free america you should not be able to save up and form a water ski club that keeps all the people you seem to hate so much in one area were there wakes cant bother you :rolleyes:

Tommays

That's a great vision of a FREE America where the haves can oust the havenots. I guess it's a free country for those that can afford it. Just to be clear- I have more money than a lot of people but I don't think it entitles me to use a natural resource to the exclusion of all others.

You want an exclusive water skiing lake- build one. Don't commandeer a public resource under the guise of benefiting everyone else by not interfering with them. That's laughable.

There is nothing wrong with buying a lake. There are several lakes around here some of them large enough to ski on that are private. You have to be a homeowner or know one to use the lake. There are plenty of waterways to fish and ski on in the world without demanding all waterways have public access

If allowed to do so, don't you think that the vast majority of lake home owners would like to close access to transient boaters? Do you really believe that the lakes that are now available for transient boaters will still be available in the future if the trend to make them private is allowed to continue?

tommays

Admiral

So you let everbody wander down on to your farm because there is fishing hole on it ?

And for whats its worth there was not a problem with the fisherman at my friends lake till he started building the dock :eek:

With the 9000 places i can not water ski i fail to see the difference

Tommays

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Actually,I'm in the market.
Should I be expecting your personal check to pay for an appropriate tow vehicle?;)

It's in the mail, but it may take awhile; the post office is having trouble catching it when they drop it.:D
--Stan

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I found this article awhile ago...I'll repost it here...just a FYI.

http://www.powerboating.com/pbc15-3/lifeline15-3.html

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]You Watch My Wake and I'll Watch My Wash [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1] by Mark King[/SIZE][/FONT]
F[SIZE=-1]rom heads to bathrooms, companionways to hallways and salons to living rooms, the sport of boating is slowly losing some of its unique terminology. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Perhaps in an effort to attract more people to the recreation, boating stories, especially some new boat reviews, are using terminology that relates to houses. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Certain terms, however, will never leave the world of boating and it is important that proficient boaters know them. When the wind is howling and the rain is falling and everything is going wrong, the skipper of the boat needs to be able to speak to his crew in a common language that everyone understands. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Hence the need for correct terminology. Bow will always mean the front, and stern, the back. Starboard and port indicate specific sides of the boat no matter which way the boat is going and which way you are facing. Right and left just won't make the grade in an emergency. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]But the two terms that will likely cause the most confusion in the boating world over the next few years as people become used to re-learning them are "wake" and "wash." These are both simple terms with standard dictionary definitions that have been misused for years - especially "wake." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Both terms are on the Canadian Coast Guard list of mandatory definitions that need to be understood by recreational boaters. Of course, when boaters start receiving fines for damage their "wash" creates, the understanding will become much more common. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By why wait? Learn them now and save yourself the embarrassment of a fine. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]For years, agencies and private individuals have been littering our waterways with signs that say, "No Wake" or "No Wake Zone." In many instances these same agencies knew they meant to say "No Wash" or "No Wash Zone," but believed boaters would better understand the word "wake." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]In fact, it is impossible to move a boat through the water, at any speed, without creating a wake. Wake simply means the disturbed column of water around and behind a craft that is set in motion by the passage of that craft. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Next time you are in your boat, take a look behind you. You will see what looks like a track through the water where you have been. That is your wake. So you can watch my wake as I blow past you in a river rocket. I, on the other hand, have a legal responsibility to watch my wash. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Wash is defined as the loose or broken water left behind a pleasure craft as it moves along and includes the water thrown aft by the propeller. Most commonly your wash consists of the waves that travel from your boat's track and move away from your boat. Eventually this is the wave action that erodes shorelines, sends other boats rocking and creates that banging noise as docks bounce up and down after a boat passes. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]This is the stuff that the "No Wake" signs are supposed to address, but don't. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]With firm definitions in place and Careless Operation defined in the Small Vessel Regulations, you will soon begin hearing about boaters being fined. The charge will be Careless Operation. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The regulation reads, "No person shall operate a small vessel in a careless manner without due care or without reasonable consideration for other persons." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Among other things, operators can be charged with Careless Operation if their wash adversely affects: other vessels, including anchored vessels, grounded vessels, vessels tied to docks, wrecks, dredges, tows, rowboats or canoes; work being passed; the shoreline; docks or floats; wetlands; other waterway users such as swimmers or users of bathing beaches; where divers are working; or an area of anchorage. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Collision Regulations state that you must be a prudent operator at all times based on the prevailing conditions and local restrictions. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]You are responsible for any damage or discomfort your boat causes to wildlife, people, objects and the shoreline, and you must take into account all other circumstances as you govern the operation of your vessel. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Even on large rivers and lakes, a boat's wash can travel for quite a distance, causing disturbances on the shoreline. Often operators are not aware of the problem. Their wash reaches the shore several minutes after they have passed by. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]As the operator of the pleasure craft it is your responsibility to know the characteristics of your wash and govern your boat speed accordingly. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Ironically, in the argument for control over wash that rages along narrow channels and near shorelines, boaters and non-boaters alike relate the problem strictly to speed. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]While speed is a factor, today's planing hulls make much more wash when they are travelling at certain slower speeds than they do while they are on plane. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]So, the only way to regulate the problem is by controlling wash. You watch yours and I'll watch mine - and be aware that both of ours are being watched by others.

(Lifeline is produced through the Safe Boater Training Program, a certification program for recreational boaters.)[/SIZE]

freddyray21

Commander

many of the larger lakes we ski on are federal lakes. that and the rivers. I don't think there is any danger of them going private soon. It is a failed argument that if you let one lake go private all will soon go private. To begin with, these lakes did not go private they have always been private since being built. Some of them all you need to do is buy a camping lot for a couple of thousand dollars and you can be on them too. Most of these lakes are maybe 1000 acres at best and get very crowded on the weekends. I wouldn't be on them anyway. Same reason I don't go to the local river on the weekends unless early in the morning. Too many boats. An interesting thing I found when getting into this discussion. This was taken from a boater safety course:

Operating in Narrow Channels

* A vessel in a narrow channel must keep as far to the edge of the channel on the vessel's starboard (right) side as is safe and practical.
* If you are operating a power-driven vessel heading upstream (against the direction of the current) on the Mississippi River system, all power-driven vessels coming toward you from the opposite direction have the right-of-way and you must give way.
* If operating a vessel less than 65.6 feet (20 meters) in length, a sailing vessel, a vessel engaged in fishing, or a vessel crossing the channel, you may not get in the way of vessels that can only navigate within the channel (such as a large ship).
* You must not anchor in a narrow channel, unless the circumstances require anchoring.
* You must use the appropriate sound signals and use caution while operating in a narrow channel when:
o Overtaking or being overtaken
o Your view is obstructed such as when you approach a bend in the channel
* If you are leaving a dock, slip, or tie-up mooring, you must give way to all approaching vessels.

Those anchoring to fish in narrow channels and then complaining about boats coming by should not even be there according to the above. These are the rules apparently as outline by the Coast Guard and adopted by many states. Just goes to show.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought I was reading the "Stupid Human Tricks" section, not the "Rant and Rave and Whine" section...

Well this is something stupid that other people are doing, thus making it a stupid human trick. I don't think aliens are doing this. Maybe aliens to my state but not aliens from the world.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

Attached is the picture of the waterway. The red dot is 1 of the bars on the lake which gets a lot of the boating business because they have a public launch that they built there. The blue dot it my location with a private launch for the campers. The lake that the red dot is on is 5433 acres just to give you an idea of the river size.

Attachments

• Lake Puckawayfox river.JPG
    Lake Puckawayfox river.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 0

CATransplant

Admiral

Attached is the picture of the waterway. The red dot is 1 of the bars on the lake which gets a lot of the boating business because they have a public launch that they built there. The blue dot it my location with a private launch for the campers. The lake that the red dot is on is 5433 acres just to give you an idea of the river size.

Wow. That is a narrow river channel. It's clear from that photo that it's not a place for folks to run at high speed. Looks like a no-wake zone to me. I see why there's a problem.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its usually not very busy and most of the boats aren't over 16-17 feet and a lot are considerate. There isn't really any place in the river that is over 100 feet wide as I read in the rulebook. I can take the wake of most of the boats because mine is fiberglass but my friend in his 12 footer aluminum can't and already has had to make repairs because of the wakes that are created. This river is very big canoe kayak and tube river. Towards the other lake before the blue dot is a dam and next to that there is a place that rents canoes kayaks and tubes for a trip to the blue dot or possible to the red dot if your brave.The tubes I'm referring to are the float around type not the tube pulled by a boat. The lake isn't very deep so it is a good pleasure lake. The main person that mad me the maddest is the cop with his jet ski. I've seen him about 2 or 3 times on the water and he always is creating a wake no matter where he is. He passed us more then once creating a wake.

CATransplant

Admiral

How about this: Take your digital camera with you and get a good photo of this cop speeding on his jetski, then send it to the local paper, making sure they know who he is and the circumstances.

Just a thought.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about this: Take your digital camera with you and get a good photo of this cop speeding on his jetski, then send it to the local paper, making sure they know who he is and the circumstances.

Just a thought.

Yes, I could do that, but a cop on your bad side is not a good thing. This town is the crossroads of 2 state highways and a very busy little town. I know this cop has seen me speed by more then once and hasn't even turned around.

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, then, I guess you'll just have to put up with him on the river, then. Oh, well...

bigmacfan

Seaman Apprentice

There is nothing wrong with buying a lake. There are several lakes around here some of them large enough to ski on that are private. You have to be a homeowner or know one to use the lake. There are plenty of waterways to fish and ski on in the world without demanding all waterways have public access.

Since you are from Manchester, MO, I assume one of the lakes in the area that you are referring to is Lake St. Louis, which is where I live. I moved to the area about a year ago and the private lake was a big deciding factor on where I planted my roots. It is nice having access to a private lake. Not really because it keeps less desirable people out or whatever because there are non desirable people everywhere....they are just non desirable for a different reason. The reason it is nice for LSL is that it is only a 550 acre lake. Big enough to ski on, but not if the whole world can use it.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

many of the larger lakes we ski on are federal lakes. that and the rivers. I don't think there is any danger of them going private soon. It is a failed argument that if you let one lake go private all will soon go private. To begin with, these lakes did not go private they have always been private since being built.

Well, there you go! If you read my prior post you will see that is what I proposed. If you want private, BUILD ONE. The statement that got me going was regarding buying all of the land around an EXISTING lake to force everyone else out.

The lakes in your area are federally owned. That's great for you. Not everyone has such luxury. Where i used to live, the trend to going private had to be legislated out. They had to allow a public launch. So on one particularly desireable lake, they put in launches with a mile walk to the parking area to discourage transients. It took a few years but the state had to step in and enforce the laws. They built a launch with a fixed number of slots for transients that limited their numbers but still allowed access.

Now keep in mind that the lake "owners" who tried to go private still wanted state taxpayers money to maintain their slice of paradise...