1st time custom questions

DufferJim

Seaman Apprentice
We have an aluminum '77 Mirrocraft 14' deep fisher w/ '78 Evinrude 25hp. When we pulled everything off for paint prep, we found that the wood and float foam under the seats was unsalvageable, the old cable/pulley steering system was spent, and the last owner's homemade side console was awful even before it started rotting. Hoping it'll be a great first fishing boat when we're finished.

From the beginning, my father and I decided that we wanted to make it a center console. During the trailer rebuild and prepping the hull for the paint booth, we kicked around designs. With the condition of the seats we decided that a full deck with raised fishing stations fore and aft was in order.

I've learned a ton from searching these forums, but I'm still scratching my head about a few things. The existing fuel system is 2 mismatched 6gal above deck plastic tanks with one quick-connect hose/squeeze bulb assembly that would have to be manually switched from tank to tank if one ran dry. We also have two batteries, one strictly for the transom mount trolling motor, and one to start the outboard and power accesories (fish/depthfinder, small marine radio, 12v socket, small livewell).

We're certainly not worried about speed on this boat, but I'm wondering if I should attempt to distribute these tanks(or tank if one would be enough) and batteries between front and rear or just keep everything in back under the rear platform? Plus I've seen some boats with above deck tanks and batteries under the same seats. Isn't that a little dangerous having batteries sitting next to open-vent fuel tanks in an enclosed area?

An under-deck tank is outside budget limitaions assuming we'd also need a filler neck and sending unit/fuel guage setup. We could afford a wedge shaped plastic tank to put under the bow platform (and junk the old tanks), and I guess just run a longer fuel line from the squeeze bulb to the tank, but that seems a little odd to me and would use most of the storage area up there next to the livewell. I also have no idea how to balance the need for fuel capacity against the need to save weight. Between the new deck structure, equipment, the two of us, and the motor we're going to get fairly close to the weight limit on the tag. We'd like to have some hull above the water, especially considering the lack of floatation material.

Sorry about the length, but we're new to this and probably missing some obvious answers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DufferJim

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1st time custom questions

Can anyone just tell me if having above deck fuel tanks and batteries in an enclosed area is dangerous please? It sounds like a stupid question to me but I've seen it on other boats, some on these forums.

drJ

Seaman

Hi
I wouldnt worry about thew fuel tanks near the batteries as long as your not going to remove the terminals causing sparks while your out. I run my small boat no problem that has a 50 hp on about ten gallons of gas. I only end up using about 5 or 6 unless i go very far because while fishing i use my trolling motor. Id ditch the second tank in favor of a single one maybe 10 or 12 gallons. If you think there is too much weight in the back move the batteries under the console. I don't like the idea of having a fuel line running from bow to stern.
hope this helps a little

DufferJim

Seaman Apprentice

Actually that helped a ton thanks drJ.

I think we'll just go with the better one of the two 6gal tanks in the stern at first and see if it'll take us where we want to go with the 1/3 rule. I'll leave myself an out with the structure incase we need to go to a bigger tank. Gonna try out the trolling battery under the console since the wiring is long enough. The harness that's wired into the Evinrude for the ignition switch has fairly short battery cables though, so for now that battery is going to have to stay in back. If that harness hadn't been recently replaced I'd probably just rewire the whole thing with longer battery cables and move that one up under the console too.

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 16' w/center console and to be honest I loose a lot of fishing room. I use it for Steelheading mostly on the rivers and the console seems to be in the way unless my fishing partner and I rotate positions to have the busy rod up front and the net in the back.

A raised deck fore and aft give great seating. live well and dry storage areas can be put in as well. On my center console my 12 gal tank is inside the console. I posted a pic to show you what I mean about lost fishing room.

As far as the fuel tank and battery being in the same compartment it really does no harm if both are tied down and the compartment ventilated to prevent fumes from collecting.

boat2.JPG

Granted this is a flat bottom but I think you'll loose space regardless of design. Next time, at least on this boat I'd probably go with a tiller.

DufferJim

Seaman Apprentice

Nice boat :)

I agree about losing space but the cost and hassle of converting to a tiller for us wasn't an option. We're newbies and could be wrong, but it seemed cheaper and easier to replace the broken steering system with Teleflex quick connect rotary steering, and build the center console for better balance. Our console will be much smaller but I'm guessing we'll lose just as much space.

Should be ready to float within two weeks. I'll post some pics here to compare :)

DufferJim

Seaman Apprentice

I did actually, and thought the stick would be great. The problem was the cost. No matter which way I plugged it into the design, the space gained didn't offset the extra $100+ when we were pushing up against the budget as it was.

Also, my partner in this a retiree that still refuses to get a cell phone, even for emergencies only. My father is a great man, but anything above strictly functional is a very tough sell :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

this is the ideal center console for a small boat. this is an 18 foot boat, that had the huge console, like zero balance. this is manufactured by Todd Industries, around $190.00. requires teleflex rotary steering, the rack system is too big to fit. if you notice the wheel is off centered to accommidated the steering system this one is sitting on a 14 inch box, as i like to stand, and lean against the but seat/leaning post.

DufferJim

Seaman Apprentice

Wow thanks for the pics and link. That's very close to the deck structure we've laid out. It's a huge help to be able to see these boats and be able to compare what we're trying to do.