150 evinrude bored 20 over

dezee

Cadet
im in the process of rebuilding a 150 v6 60 degree eagle spitfire 1991.I had two cyl bored 20 over and the other 4 honed. I ordered 2 pistons with rings and 4 sets of rings for remaining pistons wich are ok. the new pistons came with 2 rings wich are exact in size and both tapered unlike oem rings wich the top ring is larger than the bottom ring and only one tapered . are these ok to use ? I had to send back the 4 sets because they came both rings same size but oem are available top larger than bottom with 1 tapered to fit other 4 oem pistons thanks much.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 150 evinrude bored 20 over

The way your post sounds, you bored .020 over before you had the pistons. Please tell me this is not the case.

dezee

Cadet

no the shop had the pistons then bored out 20 to pistons but new pistons have 2 same size rings unlike 4other originals wich have upper ring a little larger than lower ring new pistons fit perfect just wondering if ring diff ok ? new pistons came with 2 tapered rings same size and original pistons have 1 ring upper larger than lower ring and 1 tapered ring

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think there was a mix up. I think there is a engineering change that took place. The rings you speak of are common in four strokes. I know I have replaced rings in two stroke motor bikes with a configuration change.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

just a thought,by chance are the new pistons aftermarket,thus the reason for differance frrom OEM,the 4 sets,are they after mkt.?they may be and not fit OEM

dezee

Cadet

sounds good got 4 sets oem 2 size rings coming for 4 orig pistons and will use 2 aftermarkets with same size rings thanks

dezee

Cadet

sounds good got 4 sets oem size rings coming for 4 orig pistons and will use 2 aftermarkets with same size rings thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You didn't mention what brand rings you bought. An example -- Wiseco rings don't fit an OE piston. Vertex rings do.