In the middle of installing Regulator/Rectifier...

ineedacottage

Seaman
and part of the gasket was stuck on...I used a utility knife blade to clean as much off as I could - how clean does this need to be?

I have some 3M Scotch-Grip Rubber & Gasket adhesive to apply to both sides of the new gasket...

Also I had to loosen the black ring (I think it is the stator?)...is there anything I need to watch out for when tightening it back down?

And one more (how can you tell I've never done this before :D)...When I pulled the flywheel the woodruff key stayed in the shaft... is this normal? I just need to be careful to line it back up when I re-install and torque the flywheel?

Thanks a lot for your help!! :D

I forgot to add that it is a 1990 90hp Johnson.

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: In the middle of installing Regulator/Rectifier...

The mating/sealing surfaces of the items needs to be clean. Use what looks like a sharp edge narrow putty knife (carbon scraper) to clean the surfaces.

The key is designed to stay in the crankshaft.

I don't approve of that rubber sealer. It's best to use regular gasket sealer, the type that comes in a can and has a small brush attached to its screw off cap, available in any auto parts type store..... and many other stores for that matter.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the HI-Tack product

ineedacottage

Seaman

The mating/sealing surfaces of the items needs to be clean. Use what looks like a sharp edge narrow putty knife (carbon scraper) to clean the surfaces.

The key is designed to stay in the crankshaft.

I don't approve of that rubber sealer. It's best to use regular gasket sealer, the type that comes in a can and has a small brush attached to its screw off cap, available in any auto parts type store..... and many other stores for that matter.

Thanks Joe. I got it quite clean using a combination of the utility knife and a razor blade. I could see the machine lines over pretty much the entire mating surface. For future use, is the carbon scraper that you refer to a specialty tool or can I find it at any auto parts store...?

Why do you not like the rubber sealer...? The dealer I bought it off of (and the parts as well) recommended it...he said they use it on all their rebuilds...just curious about your reasons.

Thanks a lot for taking the time and sharing all your knowledge. I really appreciate it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The tool can be found just about anywhere, especiall at an auto parts store.

The rubber sealer? It has never been recommended by OMC, I've never used it, don't care for what one might refer to as 3rd party brand sealers, most are a conflicting color...... and after some 30+ odd years, I tend to stick with the tried and tested products that I know work and do not lead to double work. I still receive questions as to why I won't use silicone (ugh!). And finally, I just don't like that damn stuff (grin).

ineedacottage

Seaman

The tool can be found just about anywhere, especiall at an auto parts store.

The rubber sealer? It has never been recommended by OMC, I've never used it, don't care for what one might refer to as 3rd party brand sealers, most are a conflicting color...... and after some 30+ odd years, I tend to stick with the tried and tested products that I know work and do not lead to double work. I still receive questions as to why I won't use silicone (ugh!). And finally, I just don't like that damn stuff (grin).

LOL! Good enough for me - especially the last reason! :D

I hope I do not end up doing double work - that damn tube cost me 25 bucks and expires in September to boot! I'll definitely use the regular gasket sealer next time - which hopefully won't be on a water cooled regulator/rectifier for another 17+ years!

Thanks again Joe!