st. louis boating

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been looking for places to take my 14 ft jon fishing. This time of year I can't go far as I can only stay for the day. Can anybody recommend any lakes that are near st. louis that I could try. I have been having a blast at lake Simpson but it is electric motor only. My father in law told me about a lake near Catawissa, that he said would be perfect for me. Best I can find in my search is Serene lake. Anybody familiar wit it? Are there any other lakes within an hour and a half of St. Louis to run a gas motor on. I know there are a few St. Louis boaters that are active on this board. Any suggestions?

Chad D

Seaman Apprentice
Re: st. louis boating

Mark Twain would be a good lake it is about an hour and fourty five min north north west of st. louis. it pretty good size lake about 18000 acers I think (give or take ) some parts of the lake have lots of stumps near the shore. you would have to watch out while under way however it should make for good fishing. also doesn't get too busy. anybody else know any others? just put st. louis into google maps you should be able to find a good rute from wherever your comming from

Chad D

Seaman Apprentice

carlyle lake is about an hour twenty east of st. louis btw both are corps lakes

freddyray21

Commander

George Winter would be good. Especially if you are already going to Simpson. I live close to Simpson. It takes me about 20 min to get to George Winter

kenjenmo

Cadet

I have taken my 16 ft. Aluminum bass boat over to Rend Lake in Illinois. Good fishing there or maybe even try putting in in the Mississippi River near Alton. There are a lot of access points over there and many sloughs to fish or whatever that are not in the main channel of the river.