1985 50 Mariner 4 Cylinder Thermostat ??

HondaPower

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have looked everywhere on the block, and factory manual does not show one. Can I safely assume it does not have one and therefore I should have water out the telltale as soon as it starts or as soon as the water jacket is filled? Ran for the first time this year, no telltale in barrel or with muffs. Dropped the leg and checked the impeller, (new last year when I bought it) it was like new as was the entire pump housing. Hoping that it is a stuck thermostat, but not holding out alot of hope.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1985 50 Mariner 4 Cylinder Thermostat ??

There is no thermostat on that model, first make sure the telltale is not plugged if it'd clear, you might drop the lower unit and fasten a low pressure hose to the engine w/ tube and see if you have water from the telltale. If you don't you may have a peice of the old impeller stuck in a water passage

HondaPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, will give it a go in the morning, and if stiil no telltale will drop lower leg and hookup a hose to the copper water pipe. Appreciate your response, have done a lot of older small motors but this is a little intimidating. Will post results tomorrow.

HondaPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Back flushed from the fitting on the top of the block back through the leg and then restarted, and got a weak stream out of the telltale. Waited for several minutes and the telltale got stronger, water coming out running on muffs got warm but not really hot so hopefully this little adventure is finished. Going to the lake this weekend for a shake down cruise. I will keep a close eye on it, and if problems develope I will use the trolling motor to get back to the launch. Thanks very much for your response Laddies.