2000 Yamaha SX150 shutdown

gonfishin

Recruit
OK Guys, I am new at this so be gentle.
I recently purchased a used (2000) Sea Pro 21 foot Bay boat with a Yamaha SX150 OX66 engine.
The engine ran fine on muffs and no problems were indicated.
I took it out for the first time yesterday and things did not go as planned.
I started the engine at the marina and let it warm up good before leaving. The water pressure gauge Indicated about 3 lbs. at idle as it did on the muffs. Temp gauge barely moved off cold as it also did on muffs.
I started the 5-mile run out the channel and everything was looking good. I increased the throttle to 4000 and the boat jumped on plane and I ran to the end of the channel at 3500-4500 RPM. During this time the Eng. temp increased slightly on the gauge and the water pressure was running at 18psi.
At the end of the channel I opened it up and ran at 5500 RPM for about three minutes, then about 4000 for another 20 minutes or so. All gauge indications remained basically the same.
I stopped to do some drift fishing and did several stops and starts and short runs at fairly low RPM and everything seemed OK.
After about an hour or so of this I started to move to another location and after running at about 4000 RPM for 5 minutes or so it was like I pulled the kill switch. I checked things over and did not notice anything obvious. I could lay my hand on the heads for a second or two so I don?t think the Eng. was too hot. The oil tank on the Eng. was at the full mark, The remote oil tank had plenty of oil. I took the fuel filter out and blew backward through it and it was not clogged.
When I tried to start the Eng. I would get a constant alarm while the key was in the ?start? position. No alarm with key ?off? or in the ?run? position. Engine would turn over fine but would no start, Acted like it was starving for fuel.
After about an hour I tried it again and had no alarm in ?start? and engine started and ran about 30 seconds and the same thing happened again. Again I was getting the alarm in ?start? and engine would not start.
To make an even longer story shorter, about two hours later I tried again and engine started (no alarm in start) I ran the engine at about 3500 RPM and was able to get back to the marina and everything seemed fine.
When I got home I flushed the Eng. with fresh water on the muffs and no problems were indicated.
As they say ?Hind sight is 20/20?. I did not check the fuel bulb to see if it was collapsed and was starving for fuel. But I don?t know why that would give me an alarm.
My understanding was that the only things monitored are oil and temp but they would only reduce RPM, not kill Eng.
One other point. When I turn key to ?on? position I do not get the beep indicating the alarm function is working. When I disconnect the temp sensors on the engine and short the wires together I do get an alarm.
I hope this is not too drawn out. I just wanted to get as much info out as possible.
Any assistance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2000 Yamaha SX150 shutdown

Ok, I take it you're in saltwater....I believe that on that engine, if key is in run position, that is the first position after off...the alarm will sound constantly if the "kill" lanyard switch is 'off'...but if you get corrosion in that circuit it can cause this....I don't see many of these old engines here....I think maybe the heat of engine is aggrevating grounding or just coincidence...I think it's your kill circuit kicking on when it shouldn't