crack in hull

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Found a crack in the hull rear about 8" in from the back of the boat. the boat is a 1989 yar craft w/ a 125 hp oout bourd on it. the crack is about 2" long and it does leak when in water. how do i fix this hull???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: crack in hull

you need to get to it from the inside and see how bad it is. drill a small hole on each end of the crack to keep it from running further. glass in the inside, and marine tex the outside.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class

How do I do it?

Do I drill like you said and place glass on top?

Do I need to prepare the area at all?

I have never done glass work before this is all new to me. It is also in a very difficult place to access from the inside.

Also do I need to re-enforce the area some how? If so how?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Post some pictures (both from inside and outside of the hull)to get any meaningful advice.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Zell to fix it properly, you will need to get access to it from the inside of the boat. It likely means you need to cut out the floor, dig out the foam, grind the hull around the crack until the surface is clean and dry and then lay epoxy resin and cloth over the hole. I would double the original thickness of the hull with the repair. When that is done, replace the foam and floor and glass it ti make it water proof. Now fill the crack from the outside with MarineTex and sand smooth.

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class

people say remove foam.. there is no sign of foam in my boat. I cut out the bad floor area removed what I think are the stringers. all soaked and rotten. but no foam, just boat hull.

is there suposed to be foam??