steering issues 1983 evinrude

bissinger

Cadet
Ok, so this is my first boat and i dont know much about them so bear with me. i recently purchased a 1983 thundercraft with a 90hp evinrude that was shot. so i purchased a 71 evinrude 100hp with all the controls but obviously not the steering. so as we are taking the 83 motor off the steering cable wont slide through the tilt on the motor. obviously it was rust. so my situation is where can i find a steering cable or anything that will fix the problem? i appreciate your help. any information at all on this issue will be greatly appreciated and im glad to be a part of the forum.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: steering issues 1983 evinrude

There is a part number etched in the cable a foot or so from one of the two ends. You can take that part number to a local marine shop and they can tell you if it is still available. If it is no longer in production, you will have to get a new cable and steering gear (helm). Your local marine shop sells them as a replacement kit.

bissinger

Cadet

thank you. the helm is what connects the cable to the motor correct?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

THe helm is the assembly that is bolted to your dash. Typically it is better to buy the complete assembly - cable & helm, as any wear to the cable is generally matched by wear at the helm...
- Scott