Do I need a transmission cooler?

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Do I need a transmission cooler?

2700 lbs for boat and trailer... or 2700 lbs for the boat alone?
Either way, that truck should tow it very easily. As someone else posted, stay out of OD on the hills.

With the big tires and a boat behind you'll probably feel the boat more under braking than acellerating... so leave some extra room for stopping.

Adding a supplemental extra tranny cooler is a nice idea if you like the truck.

Bindernut

Seaman

My 2 cents...like many others. Install a tranny cooler and drop your tire size back closer to stock size.

Your tires are too big for your lift (Looks like only a 2" lift up front according to the coil spacers), which is why it rubs when you're turning and flexing. Bad thing if it's rubbing on-road cuz it'll really rub if you go off-road with it. With a lift like that pictured, I'd stick with a 285/75/16 tire max for good clearance

How is the rear of the truck lifted? With blocks, longer shackles, or by lift springs? If it's by blocks, then I'd seriously change things before pulling anything...axle-wrap city! That'll compromise your trailer handling and make things pretty unsafe.

Now to get nit-picky (and maybe a little cruel sounding too). Those aren't mud tires, just a nice semi-aggressive all-terrain tread. They wouldn't do anything if ya did run in the mud...but would be great tires for trail riding out in the rocks and sand. With the tire size & lift you've got, your truck is a pretty solid "mall-crawler" Those tires don't have enough room when you really start working that suspension...impractical for any off-roading and just enough to be a PitA and unsafe for towing anything. Do you do any off-roading at all? And if so, where are the problem spots (tires rubbing, not enough flex, etc)?

You'd be better with a smaller tire size which will also get your final drive ratio back closer to where the engine's powerband can work good enough to pull your boat too. I've pulled a #2400 boat with my little D21 Nissan with no problems (It's lifted 2" and running 31" tires...stock size for that truck). Your truck should have no problem with a #2700 rig behind it if the gearing is right...those tires ARE big enough from stock size to mess with your final drive ratio.

You've got a nice looking truck. If set up right, it should have no problem with your boat.

-edit-
BTW, a quick stop at a dealership with the VIN and door sticker info will get ya what axle ratio you have in your truck. You could probably find it online too with a little googling...quite a few Dodge 4x4 forums on the net that would probably have the info too.

Blue Water Runner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The larger tires decreases the gear ratio which puts more stress and heat in the transmission. Get the largest cooler that will fit. I would suggest a ring and pinion upgrade to compensate for the tire size difference. Big tires usually equal a lower towing capacity.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

BTW, a quick stop at a dealership with the VIN and door sticker info will get ya what axle ratio you have in your truck. You could probably find it online too with a little googling...quite a few Dodge 4x4 forums on the net that would probably have the info too.

Well maybe, assuming nobody has already changed gears. Most likely not but maybe. Taller tires create a longer lever working against you in pulling as well as stopping power.

Matthew_B

Seaman

You're towing fairly light for the truck so I don't think you have a problem. 2700 lbs is nothing for a 3/4 ton truck.

Plus it's a gasser, and they are much easier on automatic transmissions than diesels.

I talked to the guy at mty transmission place who said he won't put in a trans temp guage. He said they are all "cheesey" and not worth the trouble and that they would leak and they won't do it bc of liability. He said that if the tranny heat up there is already a problem. Damn I don't know what to do everyone seems to have a frickin different opinion.

My opinion is that the transmission guy is full of crap. I don't think YOU need a gauge, but to say they aren't needed by anyone is BUNK. Take a diesel pickup from any of the big three and put a heavy trailer on it. Try maneuvering into a tight space on an incline and you'll find out just how fast the transmission can overheat. Anyone with a diesel who tows above about 1/2 the tow rating MUST have one if they don't want to buy a new transmission.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget to think about an oil cooler if you don't have one already. You are out there in hot country and undoubtedly use the A/C all the time. Oil cooler will give you an edge against overheating. Not 100% necessary but a nice thing to have. My S10 came with one stock. --External--not in radiator.