Winch strap rating???

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I want to replace the nylon cable on the winch with a 2" strap. I see that the 3/8" cable is typically rated 1200 lbs load. My trailer is rated 2000 lbs. The boat/motor/gear is around 1600lbs.

Shouldn't the strap match the trailer rating or at least the boats weight?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Winch strap rating???

i think the 2 inch strap is rated at 2,000. i always go over the weight, never know when you have a bad ramp, or extremely low tide. also in the Fl Keys most ramps are extremely steep.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also keep in mind that the strap is called on to help secure the boat in panic stops and accident conditions. You can have some pretty high loads under those conditions.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

To pull that boat upon a carpet lined bunk on a 10% grade you would require roughly 450# of force. On a roller trailer that figure drops to about 300#s of force. Figure in a safety factor of 2 and that puts you right about 1000 lbs. either way

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Go with a heavy strap for peace of mind.
When your cranking heavy and the winch and strap is making creaks and makes little noises as it tightens up you will feel better.
Especially when the crank handle is furthest away and your face is closer to the winch. as you see the stitching at the hook strain under the load and wonder.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the responses. I think the safest thing is just use the 2000lb 2" strap. Now I just have to pull all the rope off the winch to see what sort of mount it has at the core.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

You guys who use straps, how do you keep your strap from trying to fold over on the sides as you are winching? I switched from cable to a strap and I am always having to use my right hand to adjust the strap one way and then the other way to keep it from folding while spooling. I've realigned my winch six hundred times and it's just the swaying of the bow of the boat as I winch it on that moves the strap slightly from side to side, causing it to bind against the side of the spindle and fold. It's super annoying. Any words of wisdom would be great.

-E

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My other boat trailer has a strap. When I winch in the boat, I crank with my left hand and press down a little on the strap with my right to keep it from curling up as it winds up. Generally not a problem but sometimes it does want to wander and roll an edge.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

adjusting the winch height so the angle of the strap is right helps with the lapping of the strap. self centering rollers, the bow swaying back and forth, you may be too deep with the trailer, once the keel is on the front roller, it should not sway, keel should be in contact with 1st and 2nd roller at that point.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

adjusting the winch height so the angle of the strap is right helps with the lapping of the strap. self centering rollers, the bow swaying back and forth, you may be too deep with the trailer, once the keel is on the front roller, it should not sway, keel should be in contact with 1st and 2nd roller at that point.

The trailer is not really right for the boat (it's a bass boat trailer) but I never thought of adjusting the winch height. I'll try that out. I see that Mark42 winches with his left hand... I'm too weak for that crap, after a few dozen winch turns I gotta switch to the right hand... hahaha!

Thanks for the ideas,
-E

evilratgirl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On our first boats we also had the rope winch. I replaced it with the 2" strap and felt much more comfortable with it.

On our present boat I had a problem with the fold over issue. Used the left hand guide right hand crank. Last year I replaced the old strap and haven't had any foldover at all.

CaliCash

Seaman Apprentice

*******.876243818--**********.728865729--view_id.56568

I have this winch. Purchased it last year and have had problems from the get go. I have a '89 Hurricane 196SDand weighs 2825 (pounds dry).

The problem I'm having is that the bolt that goes through the wheel that the strap coils around breaks. When I go to release tension on it to disengage the winch so that I can unstrap the boat, the bolt snaps off right where the lever and wheel meets. And of course they break when I'm on the launch ramp. Ive been to hardware stores and gotten stronger metal other then the galvanized bolt that it came with and to no avail, the same thing happens. I thought a 1600lb winch would suffice, but it doesn't appear that way.

When I launch or trailer the boat, I dunk the bunks (carpeted) in so they get wet to allow for an easier loading process and I have the trailer in the proper amount of water. It is frustrating as all heck!!

What should I do, just get an even heavier duty winch? HELP before I go insane on this. haha. Thanks guys.

Bondo

Staff member

What should I do,

Ayuh,... Start your Own thread, instead of Hi-jackin' this 1 that's almost 5 years old is a Great place to start....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The problem I'm having is that the bolt that goes through the wheel that the strap coils around breaks.

When you initially wrap it up with a new bolt, make sure the entire coil is TIGHT! Two things hold the strap tight, one is the bolt, but the tension of the strap itself. If your first couple wraps around the drum aren't tight, it isn't going to grab on much.

CaliCash

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... Start your Own thread, instead of Hi-jackin' this 1 that's almost 5 years old is a Great place to start....

wasn't meaning to hi-jack the thread. Just saw it on here, read everything and wondered if other people had any similar issues.