any ideas please

caper_45ca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1995 evinrude 25 hp mod e25reor. I was out for a spin and after about 45 minutes running I was going about half throttle and the engine just quit. I tried several times to restart the engine but it wouldnt. Had to be towed back to the ramp (about 30 min tow) and when I arrived there the motor started on the first pull and ran like a charm. I was told at the ramp that the engine probably overheated and as a precautionary measure shuts itself down until it cools then it will restart. Does this sound normal? This engine does not have a warning horn .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: any ideas please

2 possiblities, coils/power pack getting warm and failing. or running hot. does it have a pee stream?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It doesn't have an automatic shut down for overheating condition. When they stop from overheating, they are toast and smell like it (burnt and smoking). Is the paint burnt on the powerhead?

caper_45ca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes it has a pee stream....repair manual says it might have a rev limiting power pack that may engage in overheat situation?????Im lost ...paint is not burnt...shiny and blk.....one thing I do notice is that I see steam coming from the exhaust when i come from a full throttle situation down to idle....I attributed this early in the season to the air being so cold but when out the other day it was really warm out and I still noticed a bit of steam....also I noticed the pee stream is warm.....could a stuck thermostat do this?

caper_45ca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just did a compression ck....took both plugs out and inserted tester...pulled 4 times on each cylinder 125lb on each which leads me to think head gasket is ok???? Is it hard to change thermostat?...I cked on price at local dealership gaskets and thermo kit under $50 ...seems like a cheap fix if that is the problem?....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Did the engine quit immediately, like you turned off the ignition, or did it gradually lose power and die. If it abruptly shut off, that would indicate an ignition problem. If it gradually lost power and died, that would imply a possible overheat. The engine loses compression and dies. If that's the case, you dodged a bullet. Unfortunately at this point its difficult to tell you what to fix but I would definitely start with the thermostat, and if the water pump impeller has not been replaced in the last few years, do it as well. In the mean time, run the engine in a barrel or tub and feel the head. If you can't hold your fingers on it for more than a few seconds, it's too hot.

caper_45ca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks 4 the input....dodged a bullet may b an understatement.....I just realized that when i gased the boat up I mixed 20litre fuel and only 200 ml oil:redface:.....but only put about 8-10 litres in gas tank to top it off.....added extra oil in tank now to make up 4 my mistake:redface:.....I just ran it in yard on muffs 4 20 mins and everything seems ok......engine cool strong pee stream when reveed up....taking it to dock now to see how it works.....this motor is new to me ...uised to old motor oil injected.....Ill let u know how she runs.....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you should hae pee stream at idle also, if you have to rev to get pee stream, replace the impeller.

caper_45ca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes the boat does have good steady stream at idle but picks up when revved....anyway went 4 spin in boat.....30 mins each way wide open.....she ran great.....engine was warm to the touch...could hold your finger on the head and block....felt very warm but not to the point it would burn your skin....pee stream was luke warm.....no discomfort holding your finger in it.....why it quit the other day is a mystery to me....everything seems great now:)