Starting problem

Dirty Worm

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1996 88hp Evinrude on a 17ft C.C.
Have an intermittent starter problem. Sometimes the gear on the top of the starter will not engage with the wheel. It seems to get worse as the day goes on.
I turn the key and the starter will whine but the gear will not pop up. It will start if I hold a screw driver under the gear and hold it up. I have checked all the wiring and changed the key switch. My next thought would be the starter or the starter solenoid.
Any advice would be appreciated.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Starting problem

My first two thoughts would be the starter solenoid or a weak battery/wiring problem. Try to clean all your contacts and grounds and see if that helps

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe the starter bendix if not the solenoid i would lean twourd the bendix since if a solenoid goes bad it either works or does not work.

randy_252

Seaman Apprentice

Get you some electric cleaner and clean the shaft real good, while rolling the motor. Be sure to clean up and down the shaft and ensure the gear moves freely. Then lub with some type of ele lub. And lube it up from time to time.

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get you some electric cleaner and clean the shaft real good, while rolling the motor. Be sure to clean up and down the shaft and ensure the gear moves freely. Then lub with some type of ele lub. And lube it up from time to time.

I had the same problem with my starter. I got this same advice here on the board- lubed the shaft and no more problems.

NgtvNrg

Seaman Apprentice

I had the same problem. Tested the battery and it was bad. Replaced the battery and it started great. It has done the same thing once when the cable was loose. I would start by having the battery tested.