fuel problems

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class
hello folks, I need to pick your brians again:) As you know I am restoring a 1978 26ft reinell with dual 305's and omc outdrives, I have to replace one of the carbs still, I replaced the other one already, the carbs run off the same fuel source, which runs through a water seperator filter, now I know that the bad carb has a fuel leak *seals are shot* but the motor with the new carb wont keep running, unless I hook it up to a gas can, there is plenty of fuel in the lines, and gas is new and clean, could it be from the other carp have leaks and allowing air inside the line and the fuel pump cant compinsate??? any idea's????.....thanks tony:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fuel problems

You may be sucking air back thru the other carb if the needle valve is open.
You should really have 2 pickups in the tank for twin engine, that or a shutoff valve going to each engine mounted on the fuel filter so you can shut one down should carb or pump fail.

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks don, I thought that might be the problem, one more question for you, I need to rebuild the other carb, Can I replace all the seals in it from a auto parts store?? not the whole carb, I know that there must be a problem doing that, but what about the rebuild kits?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes, just make sure the kit is for the particular carb number you have. I've found the NAPA kits are usually better than the OEM.