Need New Switches

DayCruiser

Ensign
I need the running light and the bildge switch in a 1990 Mercruiser 3.0. Can the exact same switches be ordered? I called a dealer and they said they had an assortment of switches on the sales floor and I would need to know what wires are in use. All I want is the same type switches so I can match them when I take them off. The tip of the switches light up when on. Looks to me like there are 5 or more connectors. Looks like an easy job if I can find the switches

RobDar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Need New Switches

...ummmm....why not pull a switch and drive down to the dealer and match them up.
The switches on my boat are all exactly the same...all double pole, single throw, lighted rockers...except for the live well switch which is double throw as well ( auto, off, manual) some of them use both poles of the switch, others only one pole of switch.
The marine supply by me wanted $9 a piece for them. They had "leviton" stamped right on the side. Knowing leviton products I went down to the electrical supply house and ordered them there for $4 a piece.

I would be prepared to put on some new connectors on the wires as well. A couple of mine were corroded and looked yucky so I replaced them when I did the switches.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The NAV/ANCHOR switch is an ON-OFF-ON (Nav-Off-Anchor) switch and is different than the other switches. You can use either of two types. The diagram below shows the typical switch.

NavSwitchWiring-1.jpg

The other type has just three terminals (unlighted) but you would need to stop at Radio Shack and buy a simple 50 cent diode and add it to the switch as shown below to get proper NAV light function.

Nav-AnchorSwitch.jpg

DayCruiser

Ensign

Thanks for the info. Well I went to 3 dealerships and nobody had the running light switch. I got one of them to look it up for me and order the same exact switch. The problem is one dealer told me I could hook up a non internal lighted switch and it would work just fine. he failed to advise me to leave off one of the wires as the bottom wire went to the switch internal light? he said hook it up just the way the other switch came off. Anyway it jolted the instrument panel when I flipped the switch. I can't tell that it did anymore damage than that. Maybe blew a fuses to the running lights? BTW where is the fuse to the running lights? :( The exact switch is on order from another dealer because the one who sold me the no light switch said they didn't make them anymore.
This is the way it always is with some of us. Try to fix something and mess something else up.
Just in case, where is that fuse to the running lights? I haven't seen a panel of fuses anywhere. The boat still runs good and the inside light still work and the rest of the switches still work. Battery still charging. So i don't know what my error did if anything except give me a heart attack lol

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post a photo of the switches you are trying locate.

DayCruiser

Ensign

Post a photo of the switches you are trying locate.

No camera or scanner. 3 prong / _ /. The 2 ends are diaganol to each other. The center one sits on the side in the middle. Light bulb inside. It controls just 2 lights I believe + plus the light inside the switch. The one next to the floor on the drivers side and the running lights up front. The dealer found that one in the book. The bildge had so many wires going to it I didn't bother trying to find it yet. I had bypassed it anyway

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Does it look like item # 270109930236 on Ebay? The guy also has the DPDT lighted rocker switches also.

DayCruiser

Ensign

Does it look like item # 270109930236 on Ebay? The guy also has the DPDT lighted rocker switches also.

Mine had a post on it
Not the Nova. Probably could make one of those work though--thanks for the links.

OIC what I did. I popped a breaker that sat beside the switch

DayCruiser

Ensign

The NAV/ANCHOR switch is an ON-OFF-ON (Nav-Off-Anchor) switch and is different than the other switches. You can use either of two types. The diagram below shows the typical switch.

NavSwitchWiring-1.jpg

The other type has just three terminals (unlighted) but you would need to stop at Radio Shack and buy a simple 50 cent diode and add it to the switch as shown below to get proper NAV light function.

Nav-AnchorSwitch.jpg

I like these diagrams. The dealer said he was going to order a 3 prong and found it in the book. I get there and it's the 4 prong!. I only have the 3 wires (blue for lights) (black/negative) (orange for 12 volt). I don't know why they would discontinue a good switch like the one I had. The one I had would illuminate the tip as well as the floor lamp. Turns out I had to turn on the dash lights switch along with the floor lamp switch to get the running lights to work(with the new and the old switch) The 4 prong will not illuminate the tip without attaching a wire to the 4th prong. I had a electrician hook it up remotely and he made everything work. Put it i nthe boat and you need the 4th prong wired. I guess I can do without the illumination. What a bummer!