Yamaha 225 rebuild...or not

mcm114

Cadet
Well, not a rebuild exactly, but a complete powerhead replacement. This is a 91 with almost 1200 hours on it. The cylinders have been bored at least once already (only on one bank for whatever reason) and now the sleeve is too thin to bore them any further. I haven't looked at it myself, but the tech says the peak compression was good but the bored-out side failed the leak-down test. One of the pistons on that side is impacting the cylinder head, and is visibly loose in the cylinder. Also, they seem to think it sucked a reed into one of the cylinders at one point. They're quoting me $5000 for a new powerhead. I don't know if that's reasonable or not, or if it even makes sense. I think I could make 5 grand go a lot further with a good used replacement engine. Also, it hasn't "blown-up" yet, and it runs OK most of the time. I only brought it in for service because of the intermittent power loss I was experiencing. So, do I have any other reasonable alternatives, or should I bite the bullet?

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha 225 rebuild...or not

$5K is CRAZY. You can buy a rebuilt powerhead for 1500-2500 and it doesnt take $3500-$2500 worth of labor to install. This must be a dealer who needs to sell some engines :)

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Depends on how much it was bored whether it can be bored again. It can be sleeved in that hole. Lot of options for that amount of money.
None of this would explain an intermittent power loss which more likely has to do with a fuel system problem. Time for another tech in my opinion.

mcm114

Cadet

What about the missing reed valve? The bottom carburetor has been spitting fuel back onto the black plastic intake manifold, I guess because of the missing valve . It seems to me that would either cause a lean condition, or at least partially starve the engine of fuel. Am I missing something else?

mcm114

Cadet

BTW, I'm not buying a new (or rebuilt) powerhead for this engine. But I'm hoping to just get it running again and maybe it will last long enough to find a good replacement. The reed block has to be replaced as a unit, right?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

The reed block if bad will cause the problem as well. Normally, if you see fuel being sprayed back from the front of a carb while running, it is a sign of a bad reed block. If you are seeing excess fuel on the manifold without the spray back, you may have a bad needle intermittently sticking.
Did they actually pull the head and examine the cylinder?