Bad Doral sportcruiser crash on Raystown lake (pics)

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not exactly sure how this happened but it's a real shame.. We came across this yesterday and were told by Law Enforcement rangers that one person is critically injured and three are hospitalized... I asked if alcohol was involved and the ranger said he couldn't comment as it's a current investigation.. It happened near dark Sat. night.... Raystown lake is a very popular 28mi. long lake right in the middle of PA. and it's very crowded on weekends..

Attachments

• crashed boat.JPG
    crashed boat.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
  • crashed boat 2.JPG
    crashed boat 2.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 0

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Bad Doral sportcruiser crash on Raystown lake (pics)

Wow! Thats kinda creepy! I hope everyone comes out of it ok.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's that time of year, ever hear of a safe boating course?

Maps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

*Bad Doral sportcruiser*

I don't get it ?

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

boat manufacturer is Doral... accident was a bad one.. what's to get??:).. I wasn't slamming Doral...

rndn

Commander

Another avoidable boat accident. One just happened over the weekend on Seneca Lake in upstate New York last weekend. The driver is being charged with DWI. When will people ever learn that alcohol and driving anything just don't mix.

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In the state of PA. the charge is actually "BWI".... No boating safety course is going to help a guy that's boozing it up on the lake IMHO

nlain

Commander

What ever happened to common sense? If you use common sense you will boat safely.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Dunno what the deal is. I'd hate to speak badly of this person in case it was truly an accident -- but it does seem avoidable. Angle of the boat makes me think the aquatic equivalent of CFIT -- Controlled Flight into Terrain. Nighttime, loss of horizon (or in this case, riverbank). I can see it creeping up on you.

Now, if he was drunk -- well, eff 'im -- rot in peace.

What IS it with the drinking and boating? I suppose the entire mindset is different from cars. In a boat there are no seatbelts, you can stand up, walk around, mostly the speeds are a lot lower than the Interstate, you got ice, you got a cooler and -- heh -- you can even take a leak while underway. It's practically a resort. Why not have a brew or six on the way out; maybe a rye on the way back?

The conditions all contrive to ensure that the real stakes aren't in your face...until your windshield is.

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the way the ranger said he couldn't disclose if alcohol was a factor or not made me think that it probably WAS a factor but I could be wrong... I wish I had taken a few more pics from different angles.. This lake is 28mi. long but pretty narrow in spots with lots of coves.. From our viewpoint, it looked as though he was trying a tight 180 and misjudged distance to the shore. I've been trying to search local papers for the details but to no avail.. I wonder how the boat will be removed?.. It certainly won't float!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What IS it with the drinking and boating?

At lunch at work one day we were discussing a new possible law that would make it illegal to have an open (alcohol) container on a boat. My one co-worker joked that he thought it was illegal NOT to have an open container on a boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

tic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow!.. great job on the 66' starcraft!....looks awesome

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

The whole no brakes on a boat thing has always had something to do with me not driving my boat even if i've had 1 drink.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

At lunch at work one day we were discussing a new possible law that would make it illegal to have an open (alcohol) container on a boat.....

Dunno if it even makes a difference. This is what's on the books up here...

(ALCOHOL & BOATING) CANADIAN CRIMINAL CODE

It is an offence, under the criminal code of Canada to operate any vehicle or vessel when the ability to do so is impaired by alcohol or while the alcohol concentration in the bloodstream is more than 80 milligrams per l00 millilitres of blood.

Ontario Liquor Licence Act:

Sec. 32 (3) No person shall operate or have care or control of a boat that is underway while there is contained in the boat any liquor, except under the authority of a licence or permit.

Sec.32 (4) Exception-Subsection (3) does not apply if the liquor in the boat, (a) is in a container that is unopened and the seal unbroken, (b) is stored in a closed compartment.

Sec. 32 (5) A police officer who has reasonable grounds to believe that liquor is being unlawfully kept in a vehicle or boat may at any time, without warrant, enter and search the vehicle or boat and search any person found in it.

Sec.32 (6) Definition-In this section, "boat" includes any ship or boat or any other description of vessel used or designed to be used in the navigation of water.

CONSUMING LIQUOR IN A BOAT,
ONTARIO LIQUOR LICENCE ACT REGULATION 718

Sec. 3 (7) A boat with permanent sleeping accommodation and permanent cooking and sanitary facilities, other than a boat used to carry passengers for hire is considered to be a private place while the boat is at anchor or is secured to the dock or land.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Wow!.. great job on the 66' starcraft!....looks awesome

Thanks tic. Had a great cruise on it yesterday. First time out this year where it wasn't windy and choppy.

LSM

Seaman Apprentice

Just saw this posting. I would like to say I know who's boat that is. And the people are doing very well.

D

DJ

At lunch at work one day we were discussing a new possible law that would make it illegal to have an open (alcohol) container on a boat. My one co-worker joked that he thought it was illegal NOT to have an open container on a boat.

It is illegal in Arizona. New law. Same as a motor vehicle.

Fish n Geer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just saw this posting. I would like to say I know who's boat that is. And the people are doing very well.

Good to hear they are ok.