How big is your warning flag

tommays

Admiral
I went across Long Island sound to Fishers Island and it was all clear going in

On the way back a boat had anchored with a TINY dive flag that really got lost on the boat

There are a lot of lobster pots so we keep a sharp eye and it was really the way i spotted the fact that anybody was even diveing :eek:

I really did not get that close but it was still to close a BIG dive flag or a dive float would have made it much safer

Divers thoughts ?

Tommays

thenotsofreeboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How big is your warning flag

Once I was shore diving in Stockton lake with a little dive float and a even smaller flag on it (maybe 12 inch). I usually use a belt weight for an anchor but needed it to sink so I had the rope clipped on my BC and everything was going good we had like 20' vis (great for missouri) and we were at 45' enjoying the view of beer bottles and trash in missouri's waterways. All of a sudden the rope hooked to my BC started pulling me up like 2-3 feet and then slacked off. At this point i am starting to ponder the wisdom of being attaching something to me that i can not see while my mind swims in thought i get another tug this time 5-6 feet i head up, so i grab the line and give it three tugs down on it really hard about thirty seconds later i hear a boat motor start up and take off. I think the gentle men in the boat figured out what the float was attached too. I was really worried that they would think i am a fish and haul me up. After that I held the rope for the rest of the dive and will never ever tie myself to one. Use a big dive flag and write on the white stripe that "this means diver is in the water and if you are reading this you are way to close"

divertodd

Seaman Apprentice

Once I was shore diving in Stockton lake with a little dive float and a even smaller flag on it (maybe 12 inch). I usually use a belt weight for an anchor but needed it to sink so I had the rope clipped on my BC and everything was going good we had like 20' vis (great for missouri) and we were at 45' enjoying the view of beer bottles and trash in missouri's waterways. All of a sudden the rope hooked to my BC started pulling me up like 2-3 feet and then slacked off. At this point i am starting to ponder the wisdom of being attaching something to me that i can not see while my mind swims in thought i get another tug this time 5-6 feet i head up, so i grab the line and give it three tugs down on it really hard about thirty seconds later i hear a boat motor start up and take off. I think the gentle men in the boat figured out what the float was attached too. I was really worried that they would think i am a fish and haul me up. After that I held the rope for the rest of the dive and will never ever tie myself to one. Use a big dive flag and write on the white stripe that "this means diver is in the water and if you are reading this you are way to close"

The flag I use on my float is about 2x2...I was down once in a lake in PA and a jet skier was using it as a point to turn around. I was at about 15 feet and heard him approaching...I hugged the bottom until he left. When I came up he was being stopped by what we a "Fish Cop", Pa Fish and Boat Commission. I don't know if the PWC rider got a ciatation but he was being read the riot act by the officer. Onmy runabout I have a 3x3 flag I use.

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are certain size requirements for certain states, in florida they require a bigger flag on the boat than if it's on a buoy, but i do not know the specific size. There is a thread in the PWC forum "lights on a PWC" someone posted a link to specific state boating laws. Check it out.

tommays

Admiral

i feel a little better

tiny flag on the 30' boat

NO flag in the water :eek:

Tommays

Aquahound

Cadet

There are certain size requirements for certain states, in florida they require a bigger flag on the boat than if it's on a buoy, but i do not know the specific size. There is a thread in the PWC forum "lights on a PWC" someone posted a link to specific state boating laws. Check it out.

Florida's requirement is 20" x 24" with stiffener. The tow-behind flags that accompany the divers in the water must be 12" x 12".

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

My flag is about 3' x 5' and I made a PVC pole for it.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

I see others have the same experience. It wouldn't matter if it was 20 feet. Most of the idiots out there have no clue what it means and decide to come close to have a better look.

I'm surprised the PA fish cop knew what it was. Glad he did!

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are to many idiots out there. The bigger the flag the safer you are. It is special more important if you have some one you love in the water with you..

Larry

Attachments

• P1010049.jpg
    P1010049.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

we spend the month of August in the keys lobstering. always have one person on deck as a spotter, to keep an eye on everyone snorkeling. we use regulation flag. we use the same safety rules as the charter diving tours.

KeysJack

Cadet

we spend the month of August in the keys lobstering. always have one person on deck as a spotter, to keep an eye on everyone snorkeling. we use regulation flag. we use the same safety rules as the charter diving tours.

Even with my 20" x 24" flag & Alpha in the keys I hear boats passing over head all the time. A few weeks ago while I was still on deck and other divers were in the water I seriously considered shooting a flare at a rather large boat on a collision course with us. He decided to turn at about 400'.

mokaction

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is why bigger is better. You can get these flags on ebay for $5.00. I am a scuba and freediver in Ventura, CA . There are not that many boats here, but still have times were F@#Ker would run us over thinking we are on a big fish bit, but in reality we are diving.

The flags are 3 x 5 feet are a great warning and people stay away. As you can see in the picture my daugher is in front and my boat is behind.

You can see the flag for miles..

Larry

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I have a regulation flag (760mmx600mm), I think that's about 3ftx2ft, on a long pole. Ya can see it for about 2 miles in every direction. Was diving last year and just about got run over by.... a dive club boat!!!!! Just goes to show that even the dive clubs don't care!

Chris.......