Trailer setup

kywildcat

Seaman
I'm getting a front to back rocking motion towing at highway speeds. Lower speeds are ok. Trailer is an 18' with a single axle. I've gotten several opinions and all seem to think that I need more tongue weight. The winch unit is adjustable, but my question is in what increments do I adjust. I've been told everything from an inch to 4 inches at a time. If anyone has had to tinker with their trailer this way I would sure appreciate the input. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer setup

If you know how much your boat and trailer weighs, 10% of that weight should be measured at the couple. You can make this check with a bathroom scale (assuming the boat doesn't weight more than about 3000#). If you have 2500# boat and trailer weight, you want about 10% up to 15% of that weight on the coupler. Get the scale set up with the tongue level and resting on the scale (block of wood to get things level). Move the winch post forward and secure it. Note the scale indication, then gradually winch the boat forward until you hit the proper weight. DO NOT go so far forward that the stern runs off the rollers (if you have a roller trailer). If you can't get far enough forward to achieve the desired weight, you can move the axle to the rear slightly. The axle is typically mounted on a separate subframe from the trailer frame. The whole subframe is therefore adjustable.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do not try to balance a trailer by moving the winch stand.

First position the boat on the trailer so that the transom is supported by the aft end of bunks or keel roller. Do this by positioning the winch stand.

Get the correct tongue weight by positioning the axle assembly cradle connections to the trailer frame. 7% to 10% of loaded trailer gross weight is okay. Weigh the tongue as Silvertip describes, with the tongue at the height of your ball.

JB

No. Winch stands adjust to correctly position the boat on the trailer for proper support.

The axle assembly cradle adjusts to correctly balance the load.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Incorrect on several accounts. While boat trailer manufactures recommend 7% tongue weight, anyone that has towed a trailer more than ten miles knows that's not enough. GM (and I) recommend 10 to 15% tongue weight. And the winch posts are moveable for a reason -- to adjust tongue weight. If it can't be adjusted that way -- then adjust the axle. The only inhibitor is on roller trailers where the stern when moved too far forward causes the boat to roll off the front of the rollers making a little tough to launch.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good advice here, let me add when you do your weighing, your trailer should be sitting level, and when hitched to your tow vehicle it is sitting level.

JB

I can live with going to 10-15% on tongue weight or with using boat position on the trailer to fine tune it, so long as the support of the boat is not compromised.

The main adjustment for tongue weight is the position of the axle. If that were "incorrect" it would not be adjustable.

"I disagree" would be a far more civil introduction to your opinions.