wobble wobble

dchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a 1963 trailer with 17' boat. The right side tire is rubbing the trailer frame. When you lift it, the tire has a wobble and bumps the frame on every rotation. Could this be a bearing problem or do I have bigger issues with this trailer. The tires are car tires and not trailer tires. It seems to pull fine, but you hear it screech when the tire rubs.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: wobble wobble

:eek:

Could be a bearing problem but more likely a wheel problem. Needs fixing and it needs it bad.

Needs trailer tires, too.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......

Either the Bearings are Totally Junk,.....
Or,......
The Wheel is Bent........

Jack it Up,+ See.......

CATransplant

Admiral

If the bearing's bad enough for the tire to rub the trailer, you'll be able to tell when you jack up that side. Grab the tire with both hands and try to wiggle it. You'll see it and hear it if the bearing's bad.

If it passes that test, turn the wheel and see if it wobbles. If so, then the wheel is bent and must be replaced.

Either way, you need trailer tires on that, and you need to repack the wheel bearings, since you don't know the service history of the trailer.

One other thing's for sure: Don't tow it with a rubbing tire. It will blow out.

dchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These are some good ideas. I think I'll swap tires from side to side and see if the problem moves. I hadn't concidered the rim.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't swap stuff right away. As was suggested, jack up the offending side. Grab the wheel top and bottom and try to rock it (not rotate it). If there is noticeable slop, you have bad bearings -- period. If the wheel has no sloppiness, give it a spin. Any radial (side-to-side) run out will be immediately apparent. It may also be that the entire axle is shifting side-to-side, either on its spring perches or at the spring shackles. That's an entire different situation that requires a detailed inspection, tightening of moutning hardware or replacement of worn parts.

dchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No slop when I shake the tire. I did notice a ding in the rim on the inside. I attached the spare and it does not have the original problem. I guess it's off to buy a rim and a couple of tires.