OMC Stringer Outdrive question???

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey all,

First, I just wanted to say that I just joined up and LOVE this forum! You guys are all awesome and I'm glad I found ya!

Ok... My question is this: I recently purchased a 1976 23 ft (it says 2455 on the side) Crestliner with an OMC engine and a "stringer" outdrive. Well, the shop I just dropped it off at called me and told me to sell the boat. They say its too old and a horrible design. They also say that it cannot be swapped out with a newer or better outdrive. Is this true?

I'm leaving town on Sunday for 2 weeks and would love to have the boat ready for when I get back, but now I have to search for a mechanic in the Charlotte NC area tomorrow morning, or wait God knows how long after I get back in town.

Any help and/or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm really hoping I can get a new outdrive on there if the stinger is as bad as this guy made it out to be. Otherwise... I'll have to sell it and I really dont want to lose money on the boat, and I dont want to stick someone else with this same situation.

Thanks in advance for your help!!! You guys Rock!!!

Dave (the new guy)

edit: I realize now that its "Stringer" and not "stinger"... oops!

PS.. Here the boat... I love it too... nice size, decent layout, and a cuddy!

l_f05892ddef7b6f68eb20a59a342f6a6a.jpg

Last edited:

MJ76

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: OMC Stinger Outdrive question???

Re: OMC Stinger Outdrive question???

Sounds like you need to find another shop to work on your boat. You didn't mention what you need to have fixed, but since a Stringer's what you've got I don't see any reason why you can't work with what you have. Probably the shop just doesn't WANT to work on it.

I'm not an OMC guy and it's been a while since I've worked on one, but I think around 76 was when the gearcase was electrically shifted (as opposed to a standard cable shift). If that's what you have, there are a couple of weak links. There was a shift wire that the insulation would get brittle and the wires would short together on, and replacing the wire, the shifting coils or the springs, which tended to break if you shifted at too high an rpm, involves tearing the gearcase apart and can get kind of expensive. But as far as I know the parts are still available, and I'm sure if you ask around you can find someone that will work on it.

Going with another type of drive system would involve not only changing the outdrive, but the transom assembly and motor mounts, and reworking the transom itself, and would definitely cost you way more than fixing what you've already got. Go get a second opinion, or if you have a specific issue, there are plenty of folks here that could give you more specific advice on any repairs you need to do. Good luck!

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: OMC Stringer Outdrive question???

Thanks MJ.... I'm making a list of places to call tomorrow morning, bright and shiny. I actually searched the forum and found a few posts that lead me to believe its not as bad as I thought. I figure if I can even get one good season out of it, I'll be happy, maybe i'll sell it then depending on how it goes and how confident I feel.

As for it's issue, as far as I know, it just doesn't tilt. There are 3 bolts that have to be removed and then you have to raise or lower it manually, but the guy I bought it from said that it worked with that one exception.

Other than that, I just want a good tune up and the wiring gone over. I have zero time to do it myself (and even then.. I probably have to pay someone to fix my work...lol).

If anyone in the NC/Charlotte area can point me to a good OMC mechanic, I'd really appreciate it.

whywhyzed

Banned

It's funny I hear that story a lot- and the iboats crowd usually agrees with your shop. I even agree to a point (especially when the drive is hydromechanical shift 1979-81) I guess it's because I live right near where the OMC plant was here in Peterborough, Ontario. But, EVERY shop around here works on OMC stringers - this bias doesn't exist - the guy that teaches marine techs at the college here tells me the stringers are his favourite to work on because he "cut his teeth on them". I find them quite easy to work on and maybe because there's no salt water here, they last. I took a 70 mile trip last weekend and all through the Kawartha lakes there were dozens of old stringer powered boats out and about.

For me - I think if I were to moor a boat for the season, I might steer clear of a stringer because of the 3 oil compartments with several seals keeping water out and i couldn't go the whole season on faith that no water has gotten in to the drive. But for a trailer boat - I don't see an issue.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Dude my buddy and I jsut rebuilt a stringer OMC 800. And we were clueless on what we were doing. grabbed a original OMC manual and we tore it apart.
parts were plentiful and we already have two outdrives rebuilt for two guys who couldnt find anyone in the area to do it. My buddy wants to swap to a newer outdrive but I told him to leave it alone till it blows up.
Find another shop. Sounds liek the mechanics there are little girls. its not that they wont work on the OMC drive its they probably have no clue and they heard so many stories they dotn want to touch it
Find a different shop
Rob

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys,

Thank you SO much. I feel so much better now than I did a few hours ago. Now... my only issue now is trying to find a trustworthy shop in the few hours I have tomorrow that'll work on it. Thanks again guys. iboats.com rocks!!!!

Dave

Bondo

Staff member

I recently purchased a 1976 23 ft (it says 2455 on the side) Crestliner with an OMC engine and a "stringer" outdrive. Well, the shop I just dropped it off at called me and told me to sell the boat. They say its too old and a horrible design. They also say that it cannot be swapped out with a newer or better outdrive. Is this true?

Ayuh,.......... It's True,......... And with some Good Advice.................

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I went and picked it up today, and started calling places from their parking lot. The first place I called said they work on OMC stuff, they just don't "like" to work on the OMC outdrives. Needless to say, the guy was really nice and very up front about the whole thing. I feel so much better now and my ulcer has subsided! lol.

If I get a good season out of it, I'll probably sell it next year and get something with a bigger cabin and merc or volvo penta set up. I just wouldn't feel good about turning around and selling it and sticking some other guy with it not working right.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What wrong with it? You could upgrade to the full mechanical shift by getting a later stringer (1982- early 86). They do sell rebuilt and new old stock outdrives. Going to the mechanical shift will save you a lot of headaches. Of course you would have to get the shift converter box and an ESA. Could find those on ebay.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

I just wouldn't feel good about turning around and selling it and sticking some other guy with it not working right.

What a quaint way of doing things! Our world would be better off with more folks having that belief. Sometimes I think I am all alone with the way I like doing things.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Honesty tells a lot about a persons character. Glad to have you aboard d_saum.

LTP

Seaman Apprentice

i have a buddy that has two boats with omc outdrives and he has ran them for years, and he does not maintain them almost all, and he has had almost no problems ever,
sometimes it just the luck of the draw

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and yes, I'm glad to be aboard! With the posts I've read, and the info I've gotten, I feel much more gooder :p about this boat and what to do when I have issues. You guys are "peace of mind" knowing that I can get advice and guidance if needed.

Thanks again!

Dave