Tach for old 66 inline 6

lp142

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would like to install a tach for an old 66 Mercury inline 6 model 1100, usually the gray wire in the control box is used, but the gray wire here is used to power the choke switch, where else could I attach it to?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Tach for old 66 inline 6

Remove the brown wire from the 4 terminal side of the switchbox and attach it to 1 of the yellow terminals on the rectifier if your useing a alternater powered tach then just plug in the front of the control box

lp142

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Remove the brown wire from the 4 terminal side of the switchbox and attach it to 1 of the yellow terminals on the rectifier if your useing a alternater powered tach then just plug in the front of the control box

Thanks for the reply but I do not have a switchbox, I have a coil/distributor type.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Not sure what box or ING ya have, but study this diagram. Click to enlarge. Maybe this will help.
Brown wire is tach signal out of the harness, white goes to choke white (hot), black ground. This is Thunderbolt ING.

Attachments

• Merc box 1.jpg
    Merc box 1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0

Laddies

Banned

In 66 a inline 6 with conventional ign. (2 coils) there was no tach wire or extra wire included in the harness from merc as that was considered a price engine at the time. You will have to find a later control with a tach plug included or run a extra wire

lp142

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In 66 a inline 6 with conventional ign. (2 coils) there was no tach wire or extra wire included in the harness from merc as that was considered a price engine at the time. You will have to find a later control with a tach plug included or run a extra wire

That's fine, I don't mind running an extra line, I just need to know how to hook it up.

Thanks

Laddies

Banned

Is it a new tach with adjustments on the back for pulses or a origin merc tach?

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

just run a wire to either yellow terminals on rectifyer and set tach to correct pole setting

Clams Canino

Commander

Yep....... attach wire to one leg of the stator where it meets the rectifier. Set the tach for a 12 pole stator.

-W