deckboat

deckboat

Recruit
I just came onboard and need help with a Seadoo 2000 Millinium GTX.

When I started to get the unit ready to use ,after sitting all winter, I found that the new battery would not turn the engine over. I found that after I took a big screwdiver to the fly wheel it brook loose. checked the plugs and found that there was water on the end of the plug and rust.

When I winterized the unit last fall I ran the carbs empty and put WD40 in the plug hoile and replaced the plugs.

My question: I wonder if I have a cracked head or block?? What would you suggest to do at this point.

Thanks for any help .

deckboat

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
Re: deckboat

Well you probably had moisture in the cylinders so now the whole thing is a big block of rust inside. Especially after you said you had to use a screwdriver to break it loose. FirstTry to break it all loose and see if the motor turns over. if it does see if it will start. I woudl dump a couple of teaspoons of oil in each cylinder and keep cranking it. with luck the rust is only on the plugs but most liekly its in the crank bearings.
the whole thing is gone and even if you can start it the rust pitting thats already there on the crank bearings will make the motor sound horrendous. If you can get it started you may luck out but chances are you wont.
i dont think you had a cracked block. how did you do the flushing. Did you start the ski turn water on flush turn water off shut down ski?
If you left the water running after you shut off the ski the water could of backed up through the exhaust and flooded the motor. Pull the plugs off and see if water comes out of the motor. if it does then you need to either rebuild it or replace it. Rebuilding is not hard on those motors. Cranks run about 500 ( look around for best prices), if the pistons are ok you may jsut need some wrist pins, bearings and clips. Rebuild ing them is a sinch. i jsut rebuilt a 900 kawi for a buddy of mine and tuned it. the rebuild took me about 1 hour to put it together but he gave me all the parts. for someone who hasnt put opne together Id say give it a good 4-6 hours
Robyour best bet is to have the motor rebuilt.

pinbodean

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with Rob, that motor is toast. If you try to run it, the rods will get into a fight with the crankcase, and it won't be pretty. So, you have two choices.

1. Rebuild the motor. Cost, anywhere from $600 to $1800 depending on who does it (ie you or shop) and what needs to be done.

2. Call www.sbtontheweb.com and order a rebuilt motor with a 1 or 2 year no fault warranty, and exchange your old one.

If you run it and a rod comes through the case, you might have to resort to option #3.

3. Buy a questionable motor on Ebay. Not a good thing.

Good luck with what you decide.

Bodean

deckboat

Recruit

This is "deckboat ,
Thanks for the quick reply and guidance. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

you may have just had a bit of surface rust on the cylinder walls from some condensation , this usually happens from water in the exhaust that evaporates and condenses in the combustion chamber.
although it isn't a good thing, it doesn't sound like it was too bad or the engine would still be frozen up.
I would suggest pouring a oz of auto trans fluid in each cylinder and turn the engine over by hand without the spark plugs.
then let it sit for a day.
after that crank the engine over to expel the trans fluid out the plug holes placing a rag over it to keep from making a mess.
then get the engine running, it will smoke like mad while it burns off the trans fluid so don't worry about that.
after running the engine, let it cool completely, and do an end play test to get a feel for any play in the rod bearings.
simply remove the plugs, rotate each piston till it just goes past top dead center, then stop and using a screwdriver in the spark plug hole push down on the top of the piston, if it clunks , you need to rebuild the engine,, if it feels tight you should be ok.
I would run the ski in the water a day and then retest it for end play, if it still doesn't have any clunk you will probably be ok.

deckboat

Recruit

THanks Jeff,
I'll try what you have suggested and let you know.
By the way , If we have to replace the engine, How difficult is it to take the upper half of the shell off and replace it??
Thanks

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

that isn't how you do it,, but I don't know you will need to replace it just yet,, if you get her running and periodically check the end play you should be ok,, if you are going to hatch the engine there is usually a warning if you know the warning you will avoid grenading your engine cases,, if the engine starts to run bad and a plug fouls with silver specks on it or the gap closes up a bit and fouls, it is time to shut it down as it is rubbing aluminum off the case and will hatch in a very short time,, the problem is people will replace the plug and it will run great for a few minutes and then blow a rod through the side of the block.

fourwinnsdook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a kawi 750 that closed the plug gap. i checked and had no play so i regapped and it's been running fine for two tanks of fuel now. (about 8hrs). I had just put new plugs in and didn't check the gaps so i think it was out to begin with. This motor was also siezed up when i got it as the ski sat for 8 years and was never ran. I guess i did it wrong, but i took some fogging oil squirted it down in the cylinder and grabbed the driveshaft with vise grips. I played with it till it came loose, rebuilt the carbs. it's been running pretty good now for about three months. Minor problems, but nothing major. I think it should be running a little better than 40mph though?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

could be wear in the pump ,does it cavitate on hard acceleration? also it may need to have the fuel system cleaned,, try bypassing the fuel selector switch and going directly to the reserve pick up in the fuel tank,, the switches cause issues with fuel delivery as they get old.
I have also experienced lots of issues with older kawasaki spark plug wires,, they corrode internally and cause issues.