Advisability of fully rebuilding outboard motor myself?

DaveInGA

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1976 15HP Johnson manual start motor. The compression is down around eighty and the motor has seen it's better years, but will crank and idle ok. The motor also needs motor mounts, etc. It's generally pretty well worn, but is still running.

I'm considering rebuilding it completely myself. But am not sure what's involved relating to parts and parts availability. Before I got any further, I'd like to get an idea of what's involved cost wise.

Right now, I don't have much money invested in the motor and could sell it or restore it. If I keep it, I would fully restore it, including painting it and putting on proper decals. I'm in college and have some spare time to work on the motor during the day each day. I also have a very mechanical background.

Can someone advise me on what a conservative (on the larger side) estimate of what it might cost parts wise to restore this motor?

Thanks,

Dave

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Advisability of fully rebuilding outboard motor myself?

Dave before tearing into it. try decarbing it. the engine may be coked up with carbon, as people like to troll with those engines. the decarb has been known to free up rings, and increase compression.

here's a link on the why's and how's to decarb: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158076

DaveInGA

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Advisability of fully rebuilding outboard motor myself?

tashasdaddy,

Unfortunately, I've already tried decarbing it following the procedure you provided a link to. I got a bit of increase, but on the order or a couple pounds. The compression is still in the low eighties and is a bear to start, even with a clean carb, properly set good points and new plugs.

I've checked and confirmed good spark on both cylinders and have adjusted the carb per the procedures on here. It runs ok when started, but I don't want to take it anywhere as hard as it is to crank (takes lots of pulls, LOTS and LOTS of pulls).

Apparently, this one has genuine wear and tear on it. Motor mounts are gone and everything is generally worn the way a motor with a lot of miles would have.

Dave