The Monkey See Monkey Do tactic

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
A town in another county close to mine has put into effect that all people doing contractor work must register for each trade that they do.

Now my town has done the same thing and now all the townships around town are following suit. There is talk to make the whole county this way.

My understanding is that several long time established contractors are pushing this forward. They say they are about to go under because of the cheaper contractors taking their jobs away. However it is sugar coated to the public that it is to protect local residents from scams and fraud.

I understand that registering maybe a good thing, but they have turned it into a money issue. It is not a nominal fee they are asking, but they want a $100 for each trade. Electric, Plumbing, Framing, Carpentry, HVAC, Roofing, Concrete, excavating, landscaping, painting, pressure cleaning, carpet installing, ceramic, drywall, and many more things that should just be included in one set fee. Then they have to pay that each year.

This will put a big hit on my side business. As I don't make enough at it to pay workers comp and the other things they want the contractor to carry. It wouldn't pay enough to cover the expenses. If I did it full time, then it would pay off. However, there is not enough work to keep me at it full time. I don't advertise and I never solicit jobs. My jobs come to me by "word of mouth"

One contractor that is against this idea thinks forming a Co-Op might be a solution for all the part time contractors. Not sure if this could be a loop hole or not.

What do you think? Any ideas what could be done? How is it handled where you live?

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,SS

treedancer

Commander
Re: The Monkey See Monkey Do tactic

Sorry about it cutting into your part-time job, but in my opinion it is a good thing to have. We have it here ,it keeps the travelers to a minimum, and when we hire a contractor we have a pretty good chance of getting someone who is qualified, and has ?workman?s comp?, so we don?t get stuck with his medical bills if he gets hurt on the job .it also cuts down on the people that are doing it and not paying taxes on the income,:D so you can see where the local governments are getting there nose into it.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

It's pretty common here as well. I'm not sure but it may be state law. As posted above it keeps the unlicensed and uninsured away. No doubt the added revenue is also part of the reason. Anywhere from free to $35 in the places I've seen it.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

What is the main concern is reputable contractors outside the area have to go into every township or city to register even though they are LLC by the state. Being LLC by the state should allow that contractor to work anywhere within the state without being held to local ordinances/laws.

Many senior citizens around here do odd jobs that don't require much technical knowledge such as painting, window repair, outlet replacement, cleaning, etc. This is the type work that is going to require registering. Even the people who mow grass and plow snow for people will be required.

I do agree that on major jobs that the registering is a very good idea. It is just they are trying to get ALL those that do residential repair/service to be registered.

It would make better sense to have a limit on the repairs. Such as if the job is going to be over $500, then it should be performed by a registered LLC contractor. For nickle & dime repairs, I can't see it.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Sorry the gravy train has come to an end for you but why should someone who pays workman's comp & insurance fees have to compete with you.....
It's like hiring an illegal immigrant.......:eek::D
If the $100 bucks is too much for everything that you want to do, pick one or two that can cover the costs, & stick with that......:rolleyes:
If the work is truly word of mouth & small $ like you say......
The payments should be in cash anyway......​

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Wow. That is a sticky one. I just hired a mason to do stone work on the fireplace. I didn't think to ask if he was insured or licenced. He is a well known local contractor so I assumed he was covered and legit.

Although, if he did fall from the scaffolding and get injured, my home owners insurance would cover it.

He didn't ask for cash, or offer reduced price for cash, so I paid with a check. If I pay taxes, he should pay taxes.

I do draw the line at kids cutting grass and doing small jobs like painting, cleanup, etc. Kids (college and below) should get the advantage of cash payments.

If I have a guy come and dig a hole with his backhoe, I don't care if he is registered or not. As long as he gets the job done right. If I had a garage built, I would want everything to be on the up-and-up, full inspections, insurance papers, etc.

To me, it depends on the type of work and what inspections are required.

Yep, this is a sticky one, all right. :confused:

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will there be a reward system setup when somebody turns in one of these rouge workers. Why is it the gubbermint should decide for us who should do what When the cashless society is finally put into place the exchange of fiats will strictly be forboten. Next in line will be the demise of all those garage sales of second hand goods.

Or Village building inspector has a disclaimer now: We guarantee nothing as far as workmanship goes. WTF am I shelling out fiats for?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I found out last night from a township trustee that this is to only register those doing work in the area. It does not require proof of a license or certification unless in the plumbing, electrical, and HVAC/R. He also said they want those that do contractor work to be insured and bonded mainly to protect the homeowner and or business. Then I mentioned about workers comp. He said that I have to conform to the requirements that is set in the laws governing them. Since I don't have anyone working for me except for a family member once in awhile, I am exempt.

I told him that I am not a licensed electrician but have always had the understanding that repairing and maintaining does not require a license. His explanation is that maintaining does not require a licensed electrican unless it is upgraded to a different specification or an addition of new installation.

He knows that I do replacement of light poles, bulbs, light heads,ballasts, and painting of the poles. He said as long as I'm registered, proof of insurance, and bonded that I would be completely legal.

I also found out that it is an initial fee of $100 per field and then $35 per field after the first year. That is not so bad to deal with.

Then I thought of a scenerio that I come into often. Sometimes trees will grow around a light pole and needs trimmed back. Do I need a tree trimming/cutting registry then? He told me this could be a gray area, but felt that as long as the tree was trimmed around the light only, that there wouldn't be any problem. Now if I do cut down, or trim a tree specifically, then I need to register for that.

I look at it this way, just because one can be registered does not mean that they are qualified to do the job. It just means they can be found to be proscuted for bad workmanship, scam, or fraud.

tommays

Admiral

We have the fee for everything

IT DOES NOT WORK

If you want to hire you go on the net and check there permits with the county

Then you see the list of complaints and the 10 worst offenders

The 10 worst offenders still have the permits WTF

Tommays

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

We have the fee for everything

IT DOES NOT WORK

If you want to hire you go on the net and check there permits with the county

Then you see the list of complaints and the 10 worst offenders

The 10 worst offenders still have the permits WTF

Tommays
Tom, ya got a point there....
You would do just as well looking on Angie's list.....:)