Can't find this tire

storysunfolding

Seaman Apprentice
MY trailer is in need of new tires but the local shops haven't heard of it. The tires on there are E70-14's. The tires are as old as I am so I'm wondering if there's something newer out that that would fit on the same sized rim. Any ideas?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Can't find this tire

The appropriate size is P195/75R14 or P205/70R14. They'll have those, I guarantee.

I'm amazed that nobody at the tire shops had a conversion chart for those tires.

Fortunately for you, that's one of the least expensive tire sizes.

studlymandingo

Commander

The letters ST preceeding the number assures a trailer-rated tire.​

CATransplant

Admiral

It might, depending on the fenders. Where are you located? It's hard to believe that tire shops anywhere in the country wouldn't have the sizes I named, since they fit a heckuva lot of cars.

I think you need to check out a place that's better than the ones you've been to.

In reality, you should go to a place that sells trailer tires. If you give us the city and state you're in, we can probably help you find them.

storysunfolding

Seaman Apprentice

I'm in Vienna Virginia. However, I thought you needed to use trailer specific tires and not car tires. Isn't there a problem using car tires on trailers?

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

Go to Eastern Marine.com. They ship from Delaware and pretty fast.

storysunfolding

Seaman Apprentice

I need them for tomorrow morning. Taking the boat down from DC to Hampton Virginia. I'd rather not risk it on tires that I think were last changed in 1990.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Yes there is a problem using car tires. "ST xxxxxx tires are recommended for trailer use. They have a 50PSI inflation pressure to resist heat build up. Passenger car tires have a 36PSI max inflation pressure. I would certainly look for a different tire store. Even WalMart has trailer tires and they will very likely be less expensive for the same brand as a tire store. The "75" and "70" in a tire size are aspect ratio which is the ratio between sidewall height and cross-section width of the tire. A 70 series tire is 70% as high as it is wide. A 75 series is 75% as high as it is wide so it may be just a tad taller than the same size tire in a 70 series. Fender clearance will dictate what you can use. You really need to be talking to someone older than 18 years old at these tire stores.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yes, you should use trailer tires. Look for RV service places near you or marine supply places, or boat dealers. Make some calls to some of the major tire stores, like Craven, and see what they say.

14" trailer tires are common as dirt, and you should be able to find yours nearby. Tow your trailer there.

I already checked farm supply places, and couldn't find one near you.

storysunfolding

Seaman Apprentice

Walmart, tractor supply stores, local boat dealers and every tire shop I've called in the area didn't have them. West Marine has some CARLISLE tires which I've read some bad things about. Does anyone have experience with this brand?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

If you found some 205/75 r-14 use those.
The difference between the 205/70 and the 205/70 is only 0.40 inches more tire between perimeter of rim and outer perimeter of tire.

You could also go with 215/70 or even 215/75 if you have the room between rim and fender.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ther is nothing wrong with carlisle tires, because the reason they blow is the reason, most blow. poor maintainance, air pressure. there are just more carlisles out there, is the reason you hear about them. i've probably put 20,000 miles on all the carlisle's i've owned and never a problem.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

some of the car tire places around here in Ohio don't carry many of the 14s that could be his problem unless they order them for him. he needs a place that typically has them in stock. What about RV supply places? or boat dealerships should have them too.

rndn

Commander

Make sure you use trailer rated tires only.

POPS PLAYPEN

Cadet

I own a tire and service center. everything they have said is true. I like to put as large a diameter tire as the fenderwell will accept. It slows the bearing down and that helps alot on bearing wear. I can't believe the stores in your area don't carry the tires you need or guide you to the new sizes. we see them every day and they work great.

storysunfolding

Seaman Apprentice

I found an NTB 20+ miles away that had what I needed. 2 tires mounted, old ones disposed for $140 total. much less than the $245 West Marine wanted PER TIRE.

Also, every place the the area could have ordered me what I needed. I just needed it last minute which created the problem.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

$140 was a good price, that's what i pay here, mounted.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

West marine is ridiculous on their tire prices. i had carlisle tires on my trailers for a long time now and i had no problems with them except one time when one tread came off. but it was due to me not adding air to it and driving 300 miles to the river than back another 140 till it popped. the only problem I had was they wore weird but since i started to actually balance them ( which every tire store tole me i dotn need to do) the wear has been normal.
Rob