Fiberglass hull damage repair

PumaBmx

Cadet
I was given a 1983 Bayliner Capri. I was told I was welcome to it and come pick it up or would be donated. Well nothin in life is free as Ive have been learning.
First off, the bottom is scraped and has maybe a dozen gouges. About the size of a pea up to the size of a quarter. Im assuming this is why I take on water when Im out. I see no cracks or anything alarming. Im accumulating about half of a gallon an hour of water approximately. Nothin a few seconds of bilge pump cant handle.
My question is, what is the simplest way to cover these up to stop the leaks. Would a resin/hardener mix be good enough to put on these spots to stop the water ? I was told that JB Weld makes a putty that is very durable and sticks and seals really well ? I dont cae to much about the appearance considering the boat is a bit dated and well worn.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fiberglass hull damage repair

marine tex, will do a better job. and check your drain plug. that may be your leak. it you are using the rubber stopper that has the handle that folds over, they are adjustable. hold one end and twist the handle.

PumaBmx

Cadet

We put some potting soils bags in the ski compartments to create kinda a dam, right at the center/halfway point of the boat and watched which side it came from. The water accumulated faster in the front/bow side. In the driveway, we also used a water hose fill the ski compartment and watch the bottom of the hull. It does drip from 2 different points....one in the front and one at the back corner of the bottom transom. They both dripped about 5 drops a minute.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Puma, Minor dings on fiberglass hulls do not normally leak. I think you likely have cracks in the fiberglass, which need repairs. You shouls examine the leaking areas carefully to see if you can see the crack. They can look like surface cracks, but be most of the way through the hull.

If so, you need to grind them out and fill them with epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth. Repairs on the inside of the hull are much better and easier.

PumaBmx

Cadet

Well some are dings but some are deep gouges .
Deep enough to see fibers. Ive got 2 near the bottom rear about 2 inches long , maybe 1/2 inch wide and about 1/4 deep with fiberglass mesh showing. The guy before me said he was out in the lake and a bad storm came in and he had no choice but to beach it quick and tie the boat to a tree and get to cover. The boat was tossed around on the rocks for a couple of hours. Would this be deep enough to let water seap in ?
Ive got the brass threaded type drain plug.

Would I be able see cracks on the outside of the hull or the inside ?

reelfishin

Captain

You might also want to check for other leaks, look close at the rub rail area where the deck and lower hull attach. I just had one that was leaking there. Also look close at the thread in drain plug plat and attaching screws for possible leaks.

There's enough resin in fiberglass that even if its gouged to the fibers, it most likely still won't leak. Most of the leaks I see here are at either the rub rail area or at the drain plug. Usually if the hull has a leak elsewhere its pretty obvious.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I would Marine Tex what you can see and check again.

Coors

Captain

Marine tex, after some grinding- You can gel coat later