Painting outdrive for cosmetic reasons only!

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 20 year old Alpha One that is dull. The paint is still intact, it's just dull with a white chalky finish. I would like to repaint it while it's being rebuilt. I know there are a ton of posts on this, but they seem to address outdrives that are down to the bare aluminum. Do I need to use a primer over the old paint? The boat is used in fresh water only and is kept on a trailer. I don't know if I need anti-fouling paint or not and I don't plan on using Rustoleum. I'd like to find the Mercury Phantom Black Lacquer. Please let me know what is recommended for this particular application. Thanks!

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Painting outdrive for cosmetic reasons only!

Actually, one more thing. Is it possible to bring out the shine without repainting? Maybe I'm doing more than is needed...?:confused:

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

I woudl primer it. the chalking is the old paint failing. I would jsut sand it down. You dotn need to go to bare metal IMO. jsut sand it so its all scuffed up then primer it with a couple of coats of primer. I would follow the manufacturers recommendation on the primer. then repaint it.
Im redoing my outdrive this winter when i repaint the boat. i already did it once but Im going from the metallic silver to the OMC black. since youre not in the water 24/7 you dont need the anti fouling paint. I used just some engine paint I had laying around and its held up for well over 1 year now. the only place it didnt was where I scratched it but thats not the paint failing

Rob

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have had very good luck with the Tempo engine and drive paint.They even make a clear coat spray to go over it that will hold a shine forever..
Sand it and shoot one light coat of zinc chromate primer then paint...

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

i got me some paint from rural kind paint for tractors. its lasted me 5 yrs..some touchup work..i own 4455 john deer along with many others. the paint is strong enough to take the abuse of the field. surly can take what the water has to offer.

Coors

Captain

Where is zinc chromate?
I just had to use self etching primer(used white vinegar first)

rmurray

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. OK, so this is the plan:

Light sanding, Tempo Zinc Chromate Primer, Tempo Motor Color Lacquer (Phantom Black), and Tempo Clear Coat Lacquer. :)