35hp evinrude on 15' am I doomed?

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found a 1984 15' Mach 1 tri hull with a 1980 evinrude 35 hp. I took the boat out and it idles great. It won't get up on plane. I've read the other threads about motors not going. Am I doomed to a slow boat with this combo, or is my motor just not tuned up? Thanks for the help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 35hp evinrude on 15' am I doomed?

(Compression & Spark Test)
(J. Reeves)

1st - Regardless of what problem one might encounter, always start with the basic troubleshooting procedure. Check the compression which should be in the range of 100+ psi (somewhat less on the smaller hp engines) and even on all cylinders.

2nd - With the spark plugs removed, rig up some type of spark tester whereas you can set a gap to be jumped. On magneto ignition systems.... and also the Battery Capacitance Ignition system OMC engines from 1968 to 1972, set the gap to 1/4". On the solid state OMC ignition systems from 1973 to the present, set the gap to 7/16". The spark should jump the gap with a strong blue lightning like flame..... a real strong blue snap!

If there was no spark, on engines from 1973 up, disconnect the RED main electrical plug at the engine. Remove the s/plugs. crank the engine via the starter solenoid (jumper bat term to small 3/8" term nut, not the ground nut) and observe spark. If spark is now okay as stated above, the usual cause is a shorted ignition switch.

If the above checks out as it should, and the engine dies out when throttle is applied or won't idle, it is usually due to one or both of two things. The carburetors are fouled, in which case the cure would be to remove, clean, and rebuild them..... or the timer base under the flywheel is sticking which would result in a retarded spark. If the engine will not fire/start at all even though you have the proper spark and compression, it's usually due to fouled carburetors.

To check the timer base for sticking (Engine Not Running), spin the prop to align the shifter dog with forward gear and while doing so, put the engine into forward gear. Now, while watching the timer base, slowly apply throttle clear up to full throttle. The timer base should move smoothly all the way up against the black rubber cap that is atached to the end of the full advance spark setting screw. If the timer base sticks, find out why and correct that problem.

Usually any sticking of the timer base is caused by one of the four retaining clamps being slightly too tight. Putting a very thin washer under the clamp cures that problem. Some boaters use a thin screwdriver to bend the clamp upwards slightly but I prefer the thin washer. The sticking can also be caused by having a faulty stator start to melt down, resulting in a sticky substance dripping down on the timer base nylon retaining ring.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That motor should easily plane that boat wit two adults onboard. I would expect 22-25 MPH with that setup, perhaps a bit more.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it should plane it, but don't expect a speed demon. is this a new setup or new boat to you. what history of maintainance do you have.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is a new boat. I've worked on many engines, but boat motors are new to me. I am at work right now, so I can't wait to get home and check these things that people have recommended. The boat would throttle up but it still seems like there's some rev's left in the motor. I think it may be the advance. It seems like is doesn't advance enough, but i'm going to do the normal checks when I get home. The boat starts and idles great. It just won't rev. Thanks

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does anyone know if there is a high speed adjustment on this motor?

wbeaton

Commander

It has a fixed high speed jet. You can't adjust it.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok. I read on another thread on throttle buttefly adjustment on the carb. Is this something that I need to look into to see if I have a horizontal butterfly when I'm at wot?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it would not hurt, thats part of the link and sinc process, that cooridinates the carbs, and spark so they are working together.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Being new to boat motors. What is the correct link and sinc process. I don't have a manual for this motor. Any info will help.

CATransplant

Admiral

I think there are other things to check before the link and sync business. As someone pointed out, that 35 should plane your 15' trihull just fine. If it won't, then something's not right.

Start at the beginning. Reread Joe Reeve's post. Do the things in the order he suggests, since that will get you to the problem the fastest. Are you getting spark to both cylinders? Your description sounds like an engine that's dropping a cylinder. If you are sparking both cylinders, check the compression on both cylinders. It should be over 100 psi and within 10% between cylinders.

Next, check for fuel problems, including the carburetor. You may well have a partially clogged main jet, in which case, a carb cleaning and rebuild with a fresh kit is in order.

I doubt you have a tachometer, but is your engine revving up to over 5000 rpm when the throttle's wide open under load. If it is, and you're still not planing, check the prop for a slipping hub.

All of these are more likely than an improper link and sync.

Get a service manual for your outboard if you plan to do work on it yourself. You can get an aftermarket one right here on iboats. It's essential. If you're not going to work on it yourself, take it to the shop and they'll figure out why your boat's not planing (spendy, but boats are spendy).

tsperry88

Recruit

I have a 16' Sea Nymph with a 30hp Johnson. I had the same problem. The engine seemed fine and made a huge wake, but we just didn't go anywhere fast. The prop the boat came with was a 10x16. The proper size shaft for mine or your engine is 10.5x11. I purchased an aluminum Rascal propeller of this size, and can come up on plane with 5 adults and go at a very good speed.

Except for the tri-hull we're like twins. I've got a 16.5' 1985 Fisher with a 1979 Evinrude 35hp motor. It flies when it's just me in the boat. It does pretty well with my special lady in there as well. My boat is pretty narrow though so as more weight (gear/people) are added, it sinks down further, pushes more water, and goes slower.

Your boat should respond even better. My best advice is to:

1) spend $20 on a manual at the store. Everything will make more sense.

2) try a couple of the easy things that people have suggested

3) since you're new to motors, if all above failed, either invite over a motor-savvy friend or take it to a shop that'll let you watch the diagnosis/repair.

That's a great motor for your boat...I should get a tri-hull....hmmmm

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I checked somethings out last night here's the report.

Spark ok. Plugs are cardboard brown. Can new plugs make a big difference on boat motor?

Compression 145 psi on both cyllinders

Carburetor butterfly wide open when at wot.

Spark advances to rubber stop for maximum advance.

Any other ideas?
Anyone else have prop ideas?

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm new to boat motors. Very familiar with other types of motors. Never messed with anything with a propelor.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

also maximum spark advance stop seems to be way out. I'm ordering a service manual soon. The motor runs perfect except no speed.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Find out what prop you have now. The diameter and pitch should be on the propeller hub (if it is an OMC prop). Michigan props have a number on the hub that you can cross reference at the Michigan Wheel site. It is entirely possible you've got too much prop - akin to climbing a steep hill, towing a trailer in overdrive.
- Scott

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Is the motor a long or short shaft? What is the transom height? The boat isn't waterlogged and super heavy is it?

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boat is drained. I can lift and move the back of it on the trailer myself. The motor is a short shaft. The prop sits just below the bottom of the boat. It looks like the top of the prop is nearly in line with the bottom of the boat maybe a bit lower.

cmuman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I noticed a 13 on the prop last night. I'm thinking that the prop has a 13 pitch. Too much?

Any other prop recommendations?