Who's got the secret for.......

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
....cleaning oil stains off of concrete drive ways? A combination of minor oil leaks from my venerable old E-150 and a few minor mishaps, my driveway is starting to look 3rd worldish, or at least trailer parkish.:(

cbavier

Lieutenant
Re: Who's got the secret for.......

CHEAP KITTY LITTER and grind it in with an old pair of shoes. It may take a few trys but it will come up and only leave a faint stain at the worst.

Drowned Rat

Captain

A good gas powered pressure washer with a 0 degree nozzle.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hey, it works. :) You don't even need soap or chemicals. The only problem is, it cleans it too well so you have to clean the whole driveway to match. Then the sidewalk, then the garage floor, then the house, then....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Grind in the kitty litter (clay the wood chips do nothing!! and the cheaper the better) under the weight if the ball of your foot. Might take a few times. NAPA also sells a concrete cleaner that really should be applied dry the same as the kitty litter then follow the directions on the package.

Get that e-150 a diaper! :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Clay kitty litter with some Tide soap powder added works for me. Leaves the driveway smelling fresh.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Get that e-150 a diaper! :D

At 225K hard loaded miles, I'm wondering when I'll have to buy a coffin! Hope that is not soon though, I just had the front end rebuilt ($$$$'s) and last January put more $$$$'s into the rear axles, differential bearings, driveshaft tune-up and master cylinder.

The engine has had two spark plug changes and a new set of wires and that is it. All original belts, hoses, waterpump, alternator, starter, radiator, etc, etc.

Is this ground in kitty litter deal gonna work with old stains as opposed to just freshly laid oil?

cbavier

Lieutenant

Is this ground in kitty litter deal gonna work with old stains as opposed to just freshly laid oil?

Pick up the initial aplication and dispose of it. Then Grind in some more and if the kitty litter stays pretty clean leave it sit overnight. Put a pice of cardboard over it with weight so the wind doesn't blow the litter away. Grind it again the next day and then sweep it up after some more grinding the next day. Just keep doing it until your satisfied. I like the walmarts $1.97 a bag kitty litter best. It's made from Alabama Red Clay and comes in a red bag. But any cheap clay Kitty litter will work. Don'y buy it in the tubs though. It doens't work as well. I've been using Kitty Litter for oil dry for probably 40 years. It'll actually turn the concrete white when your grinding it in, just keep grinding away.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Clay Kitty Litter has it. I'll stop by my local Wally World and pick up a bag or two. I knew you could use that, along with other specific products, for fresh spills but never knew you could 'suck' the older oil out of the concrete pores with it. I can polish it all off with my monster gasoline powered pressure washer.

speedwrench

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When get all you can with kitty litter, try adding a splash of paint thinner to new litter and let set on top of any stains that haven't come up. Works with oil absorbent so should work with litter, floats any remaining oil right up.

Dave

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

A final aplication of pool cleaning acid (muriatic) will take it back to new looking. Chief Chief

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I picked up the kitty litter last nite and ground some into a few of the spots. I'm gonna see how it does b4 I do the rest. If necessary, I'll try the paint thinner and muriatic acid business. In the end, there is always the honking gasoline powered pressure washer to polish it off.

edit: I just went out this morning and used a brush and dustpan to uncover one of the areas I treated last nite. It actually looks pretty good although I'm not sure that the effect isn't unlike using pancake make up to cover up bad skin. The very fine residue seems to stick to the concrete. I will know better after I hose it off but so far I am impressed. Life is good when pleasure can be had by such simple things.:D

cbavier

Lieutenant

It Is going to take more than one application to soak it all up. Just keep applying and grinding. It may take four or find grindings. Be patient and remember how cheap kitty litter is. Keep grinding. The white residue will disappeer fast too so don't concern yourself with that. the first rain will wash it for you free.

rndn

Commander

Generic clay type kitty. Grind it into the stain with a flat stone or brick. Rinse and repeat.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Generic clay type kitty. Grind it into the stain with a flat stone or brick. Rinse and repeat.

Tried the red brick rndn. I don't know what is worse, the red stain of the brick or the black stain of the oil.:eek: I'll try to find a flat stone or a concrete brick. Thanks. Seems better than rubbing all those miles off my shoe bottoms.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Boom a piece of 2x4 works great with a little preasure. you can also make a handle as to not have to get down and rub it.

If not satisfied a preasure washer with some simplegreen works good.